F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Can someone explain these F250 options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone explain these F250 options?

I'm building my 2005 F-250 Lariat 4x4 Diesel online and don't understand the options below (i.e. if I want them or not).

I'm getting the snow plow prep package, towing package, etc. Any explanation of these options and why I might want or not want them would be greatly appreciated!

Dual Alternators $335.00
4X4 Electronic-Shift-on-the-Fly $185.00
Bodyside Molding $60.00
12.5K Built Ford Tough Trailer Hitch Receiver $175.00
Transmission Power Take-Off Provision $250.00
Upfitter Switches (4) - Located on Instrument Panel $60.00

Thanks!
Ron Cook
Ward, CO

Old 09-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ron,
A few thoughts (IMO)

Dual alternators: if you will need more charging power than "normal" use.
Shift-on- the fly: allows you to lock in 4WD w/o getting out of the truck and turning the hubs.
Molding: protects the side of your truck in parking lots
Trailer hitch receiver: Get it. If you don't need it, it will help resell
Power take off: Do you tow heavy loads?
Switches: I like 'em, again resell.

Good luck w/ your new SD. It may out-live you.

Doc

Old 09-24-2004, 04:50 PM
I am going to order mine tomorrow. What do you think about the dual alts what are some reasons to get them. Also any thoughts on the 60/40 splint or bucket seats in the rear? I have basically decided to go with a diesel. I don't pull alot jetskis now, atvs and a possible boat later, some hauling when it is time to build the house but mainly just regular driving. My thoughts are this will have to get me at least 10yrs, mpg, durablity, longevity. Any help or thoughts before I make my order.

Thanks in advance.

I will get all the bells and whistles '05 KR CC F250 4x4 FX.

Old 09-24-2004, 06:54 PM
Welcome !

Did you already order?

On diesel, if you think you'll be idleing alot, AIC (aux. idle control)

PTO..for hooking up aux. power equipt.

Mine, XLT, don't know about r seat in L. I do have front C.chairs. Rear (SC) has folding seats, so for me works good w/dog etc. CC is very popular for obvious reasons.

Good luck...OT

btw...don't hold your breath on mpg. Some do better than others. You WILL NOT know, till you get yours.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:11 PM
On diesel, if you think you'll be idleing alot, AIC (aux. idle control)
Why? I have read some posts that talk about this but didn't explain why it was needed.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Hi.. I'm the original poster or this thread. Thanks for the responses so far. For the guy thinking he's decided on diesel, it's a great decision.

My wife and I were going V10 all the way as we hate the noise and smell of diesel. But we test drove a diesel today and it was AWESOME. Sound and smell were a non-issue if you can believe it.. much quieter in the '05 model. And the quick response when we needed to punch it up a hill was GREAT. The V10 will eventually get up there, but sluggish by comparison and you can feel the fuel needle dropping real time (almost).

As for my original question, I'm mostly still questioning if I should get the dual alternator and PTO. I'll be plowing snow and towing a horse trailer in the Colorado mountains, but those two options have to do with more electricity, right? I'm still confused.

We plan to order ours in the next few days. My wife likes the King Ranch but I like a black Lariat. With all the goodies we've put on the Lariat, it's only $3k less expensive than the King Ranch. Still, I like the black. Not sure how we're going to decide.

Thanks,
Ron

Old 09-24-2004, 07:50 PM
I haven't order yet I was going in tomorrow. I went out to the website and built Lariat but didn't see that you could get black leather.

Dual Alts is still my question also - I could be wrong but to help with power source for the add ons

I guess I am going with the KR because I figure I am spending this much money I might as well to the top of the line.

If someone could still help me out with the AIC.

Thanks

Will most likely be at the dealer tomorrow around lunch to make the order.

Old 09-25-2004, 01:23 AM
If you don't know what PTO is used for, then you dont need it.

I have it, but don't use it. Tranny case & as I recall some parts are stronger w/PTO provision. Try tranny bd. Lots discussed sometime ago. Maybe still in mem. try "search" ? Will tranny last longer w/stronger parts, don't know, but I got it.

AIC...allows you to increase the e. rpms at idle. 6L w/a-t idles around 650 rpm. This is to low for extended idle periods as e. making little heat at this rpm. Need to be higher so "wet stacking" dosent occur. Unburned fuel can get into oil etc. For better tech. answer, try www.thedieselstop.com 6L forum. Also look for updates here.

Good luck...OT

Old 09-25-2004, 09:35 AM
The AIC allows the engine rpm to be raised at idle, this is used in conjunction with the PTO to allow the implements used to run at a higher rpm. Such as a hydraulic pump.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:40 PM
The dual alternators are for when you are using a lot of juice, but not cruising at higher RPMs to recharge the battery - like when someone is plowing snow. Unless you are going to be driving slow w/ 20 off road lights illuminated or using a snow plow, you don't need to the dual alternators.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:47 PM
first reply

the first reply that was given does have one flaw. With the Electronic 4x4 shift on the fly in the super duty you still have to turn the hubs to engage the 4x4, but the transfer case is engaged by turning a switch on the dash which I think engages a selenoid motor. Without it there is a 4x4 shift stick in the floor. Just thought it would be nice to know

Old 09-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The PTO (Power Take Off) option is pretty useless unless you plan on powering something off of your truck. Most drink blenders now come with their own power sources. The only place I've actually seen this used is to power a hydraulic pump for a dump body. So, you can probably save the money here.

As for the dual alternator option, yes, it gives you a second source of charging. If I recall correctly though, there's something wierd about this option in that the second alternator is only used to power the glow plugs or something wierd like that. A friend of mine has five Powerstokes in his plowing fleet - all with dual alternators. I'll try to ask his mechanic about them this week. My opinion is that this is a worthwhile option though. After all, as Tim Allen always found, "more power" is always good.

Old 09-28-2004, 02:22 PM
the first reply that was given does have one flaw. With the Electronic 4x4 shift on the fly in the super duty you still have to turn the hubs to engage the 4x4, but the transfer case is engaged by turning a switch on the dash which I think engages a selenoid motor. Without it there is a 4x4 shift stick in the floor. Just thought it would be nice to know
This is incorrect. The shift on the fly 4x4 is shift on the fly - the shift on the fly also comes w/ manual locking hubs for some reason. If you look on the front hubs of a SD, they have 'Auto' and 'Manual' modes. The 'Auto' allows the shift on the fly to control engaging the transfer case.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:02 AM
I'm pretty sure the PTO is only available with the manual transmission. The only F-350 that I have ever driven with a PTO was a dump truck.

Old 10-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Re: Can someone explain these F250 options?

[i]
Dual Alternators $335.00
4X4 Electronic-Shift-on-the-Fly $185.00
Bodyside Molding $60.00
12.5K Built Ford Tough Trailer Hitch Receiver $175.00
Transmission Power Take-Off Provision $250.00
Upfitter Switches (4) - Located on Instrument Panel $60.00
[/B]
I didn't read all the replies but I'll respond to a couple of these.

Dual Alt's? These are really for applications like ambulances or other vehices that run a lot of extra power equipment. Not becasue you have 2 kids with gam boys and some big lights on the bumper. I say no.

Body sidmolding? Just this year that was made an option. Crazy. Yes, get it.

12.5K Built Ford Tough Trailer Hitch Receiver ? Try to find one with out it. Unless you can get the dealer to order one and leave it off becasue you want to put on an aftermarket one, yes, get it.

PTO Provision? ??? Do you realy need it? It's only the "provision". Menaing, anything you would run off of it youdn't have to buy. Do you have equipment that you need to run off of it like a dump bed (I saw that reply) or some other heavy equipment? 99.9% of buyer do not need it.

Upp fitter switches? I'm torn. It would be nice to have some integrated switches for other things. Like the train horns you may install. Extra lights etc. If you need dual alt's or PTO then yes, get these so you have integrated switches. Otherwise, heck, get the anyway so you don't have to install switches for that train horn.

Quick Reply: Can someone explain these F250 options?