F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Is the diesel a poor choice for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the diesel a poor choice for me?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an 02 F250 crew cab 4x4 diesel. The reason I was thinking diesel was for longevity, better gas mileage and towing an RV at some point. I do a lot of stop/go driving and I only travel 10 miles a day round trip to work. Is this type of driving bad for the diesel? Should I stick with the V10 until I actually get an RV to pull?

thanks
jim

Old 09-29-2004, 10:47 PM
On cold mornings you will need to let the diesel warm up to operating temp in order to keep longevity. You need to get the oil up to operating temp to evaporate out any condensation that may be in it. In a gas motor its not as big a deal since the oil isn't used to actuate the injectors like a diesel is. Short trips of stop and go driving isn't really all that good for them either. Based on what you've said I would say no a diesel isn't really what you should be looking at. Unless you're doing alot of towing and/or driving 30k/yr it will be hard to make back the initial cost of the diesel. If you're only driving 10mi/day on most days then you will never make back the $5000 cost of it in fuel savings. Heck on cold morings you're going to have to let the truck sit for almost as long as it would take to drive it to work.

Old 09-29-2004, 11:15 PM
PS73

What is a cold morning?
Also pls see NEW F250 or F150 help with questions?

Thanks in advance

Old 09-29-2004, 11:46 PM
It's like P73 says, I also agree. Seems not very practical/economical for just daily driver @ 10 mi. r/t. JMO!

D. fuel prices climibing faster here than Boeing 747. I suspect gonna get worse before better. Have Buick V6, so have option. My 6L 13/14 mpg. city. V6 is 20 mpg, gas less, it's quicker/faster, easier to turn/park etc. but can't tow/haul my load.

Just figure pro/cons & what's right for you.

Good luck on what ever you decide. OT

Old 09-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by F250FORME
PS73

What is a cold morning?
Also pls see NEW F250 or F150 help with questions?

Thanks in advance
Maybe P73 or ? can answer on 7.3 PSD. So far haven't had to use block heater. Meaning, parked outside/unheated/example: mine takes 5 mi. to reach normal op. temps going 4O mph. when temp is + 28 deg. That can/does vary. Can be little chilly inside till heater starts workin.

At 80 deg. it takes about 2mi. or less. I do let mine idle couple minutes first on cold starts. From my house to f.way is 5mi. so I can let e. warm up gradual & dont have to immediately push it hard. You can do it, but probably want be makin max. power till it warms up. It can/does vary, but it's not a gasser for sure.

OT

Last edited by Old Timer; 09-30-2004 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:39 PM
Cold weather I consider anything below 50*. Lately its been in the mid 30s at night so in the morning I try to let the truck sit for 5-10min at high idle then baby it until it hits operating temp. For me lately it takes about 5mi to hit operating temp. Until it gets there its best to keep RPMs at 1500-1600 rpms. After it hits operating temp I try to keep the rpms to 2000 or less for at least another 10-15mi. With what you're going to be doing the truck would barely hit operating temps by the time you got it to work which IMO is not all that healthy. For driving to work I would use a gas vehicle.

Old 10-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Six months of short trip driving killed a 5.7L diesel in an Olds Delta88 that the Wife and I purchased 15 years ago. Other than short trips, excessive idling is the second most common factor to diesel engine damage, according to most heavy trucking publications.

Trending Topics

Old 10-08-2004, 02:35 AM
Just sold my beloved 1999 F350XLT 4X4 Crew 7.3 PSD. Loved the truck. Loved the diesel. Commuted 30miles daily; Hauled stuff weeknights & weekends; Towed a horse trailer sometimes and 20,000lbs of hay once a year.

Why did I sell it?
- Gallon for gallon, diesel just isn't as cheap any more;
- Even with no significant repairs in the four years I owned it, it still cost more annually to service it;
- For the amount of heavy towing I did, I could rent the same truck (oh, and a bobcat) a dozen days year and still save money;
- And from the looks of all the Ford trucks around where I live, even the gas ones last forever.

Replaced it with a 1995 F150XLT 4X4 351 and have $15 grand of your greenbacks left over for fun. If you can afford a tow vehicle and a commuter, then go for it. But if you are only going to tow an RV eventually, then go for the gas engine now and consider the diesel again when you are sure to tow regularly.

Last edited by duc_grrl; 10-08-2004 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the diesel a poor choice for me?