F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Should i get a diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should i get a diesel?

I am going to college on a scholarship for football...n my parents are giving me my college fund money to go buy new truck...im going to get a 2005 f250 crewcab fx4 xlt...i just don't know wheter to get the diesel or the v10... if i get the diesel i am going to get the banks big hoss bundle...and if the i get the v10 i am going to get a whipple charger on it....i just want a truck thats a beast and can out run those little ricers..and smoke some tires ..i wont be pulling a whole lot...but like i said i want performance and longevity out fo this truck its going to have to last me till i get out of college and then a couple of years. so which one is for me?

Old 10-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diesel is the only way to go bro.

Old 10-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Yes, get the diesel!

Old 10-05-2004, 12:48 AM
Well it all depends on your driving and driving style. In order to help keep the diesel running for a long time its going to take some concious effort on your part. Depending where you're going to be at, climate wise, will play a big part in this decision. If its regularly cold then you need to be prepared to let the truck warm up to operating temp. This is to let the oil lube up the whole engine and to burn off any condensation in the oil. Next will be regardless of climate. Before you turn off the truck you need to let the EGTs drop to 300* or less to preserve the turbo bearings. If the temps are too high the hot oil will sit on the bearings and coke. Diesels require a little more care than a gas engine (you can't just jump in and go or turn it off), but if you do these things you will keep the engine running as long as possible. If you're making regular short trips and not doing alot of towing then I'd go with a gasser. Right now around here gas is $.10/gal cheaper than diesel as well, so right now its actually cheaper to drive a gas than diesel. The price climb was timed just right when I got my diesel (go figure ) I would advise against doing any engine mods till at least 10k mi. This lets the engine break in properly. Any engine mods will also void the powertrain warranty very quickly. Ford will not miss a supercharger and will void your entire powertrain warranty. Any add ons to a diesel engine will do the same thing. I would be very careful since Ford is looking for any excuse they can to avoid warranty claims, especially on the diesels. I expect the new 3v V10 will be somewhat the same since its a somewhat new design. If you really want to mod out a diesel I'd look for a 99-00 truck with a 6spd. Most of these will already be out of warranty or will be close so you won't lose out on much. These trucks will have forged rods capable of handling much higher HP than the PMRs used in 01+ trucks. The 6spd is ideal since its not as expensive to build up to holding very large HP unlike the auto ($600-1000 vs. $3000-4000). The purchase price of the truck will be MUCH MUCH less leaving more for large mods. I would also skip the Banks stuff. They make a well engineered product, but you pay alot for the name. You can get more HP for less and still keep good quality. Myself I'd go for the new Edge Juice/Attitude, 4 pos TS chip, Pysco or BTS dual HPOPs, your choice of injectors (I'd go with the F*Mes myself or something from Swamps), complete fuel system, ball bearing turbo or H2E, performance Luk or Carolina clutch, 4" DP with 5" back, free flowing intake of your choice, and few other minor things. You can have a truck that will spank a moded 6.0L and still cost as much or less than a new 05 truck before you buy the mods for that. The only thing would be to look hard for a truck that hadn't been abused, but thats a whole other story. With the mods I listed on an 99-00 truck you're looking conservatively at roughly 400+ rwhp. The whole mod setup depending how wild you really get (not counting truck) will run ballpark of about $8000, but could hit $10k pretty quick, but considering you can pick up the truck for around $20k (or less) you're still less than the price of an 05 with no mods.

Give me another week or so and I can give you some good feedback on the Edge Juice for the 7.3L if you're interested in going that route. All I can say for right is with no other mods its impressive

Quick Reply: Should i get a diesel?