F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Maintenance nightmare???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance nightmare???

Three weeks ago, we bought an 03 6L F-250. I noticed oil on the oil pan the next day. It has been at the dealer for 6 days, and they say it won't be ready until Monday. They had to pull the engine out completely, to change the oil pan gasket. During reassembly, they found the need to order some small bits and pieces. The parts came in today, and they've been working on it all day. I'm sure glad it's covered under warranty.

I understand diesels are more reliable than gas motors. I sure hope that's true, because it looks like repairs out of warranty will be real expensive.

This is my first experience. I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Old 10-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Yes diesels are more maintenance intensive than gas engines, though if taken care of they can last a long time. As a word of caution, the 03 6.0L (specifically the early ones) were somewhat problematic. Some have had no problems and others were nothing but problems. Not saying yours is going to be that way, but just FYI. Most of the problems seemed to be ironed out by late 03 model year and into the 04 year.

Old 10-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Don't have the new 6L myself, but two friends have had problems with the injectors on theirs. One of them has been in and out of the shop for the last six months. Dealer's been replacing one at a time because the warranty won't cover replacing ones that haven't ALREADY failed! Not sure what years those two were.

My own was a 1999 7.3L PSD (just sold it). Never had a significant problem with the diesel, had some electrical problems once that required a tow-in. I don't do my own service and it was definitely more EXPENSIVE annually just to do regular services on the diesel.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:10 PM
Well I got the truck back today. It runs good, but seems to have a louder exhaust drone than before........

Quick Reply: Maintenance nightmare???