F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Boost Gauge on 7.3 L Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boost Gauge on 7.3 L Turbo

I have an 02 F-350 7.3L Turbo. I would like to know if I can install a Boost Gauge in the cab to see the readings. If so, any brands better than others and any tips to installing it right?

Justin

Old 10-15-2004, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding boost guages are a very common mod. I would HIGHLY suggest that you also get an EGT guage as well. That is by far more important than the boost. Its much easier to melt down the turbo or pistons than it is to blow the head gaskets out (on a stock or mostly stock truck). As for brands most of them out there are good, just depends on how you want the guages to look. As for mounting it you can splice into the MAP line which is the easiest, but IMO the intake manifold is the better location. This takes more work (removal and drilling then tapping), but the readings will be a little more accurate and responsive. As for the EGT location I'd mount it in the DS exhaust manifold. This will tell you the temps leaving the cylinders and the temps going into the turbo. Its also much more responsive than post turbo. A clamp style is eaiser, but I've heard of them coming loose over time. Mine is a drill/tap style and its somewhat of a pita to install. These 2 guages are IMO required equipment for any diesel truck stock or not. The only other thing I'd add would be a trans temp guage if you have an auto. I burned up 1 auto in my old 97 F150 because I didn't run a gauge. Its been very enlightening what it will show you.

Old 10-17-2004, 12:54 AM
I've got a large liquid filled Mopar Performance boost guage in the F250. Works ok but has vacume reading which makes inacurate at times.

Old 10-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the tips. The truck is an auto but Ford has a factory trans temp gauge on the dash. I will look into the gauge's and use a piller mount pod for them. I do a fair bit of towing in the summer. I have a 28" box trailer with a 2500# racecar. Need to make sure I am not melting down my baby!

Thanks

Old 10-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Justin93F150
The truck is an auto but Ford has a factory trans temp gauge on the dash.

Do yourself a favor and buy a real temp guage. The trans temp guage, just like all the others on the factory cluster, are idiot gauges. By the time that guage reads hot your trans will already be cooked. Its unreliable at best. The oil pressure, volt meter, and coolant temp guages are exactly the same. They have a minimum threshold (psi, *F, etc) where once it meets that the guage goes right to center. Then if conditions get too high then it finally reads high, but gives no fore warning.

Quick Reply: Boost Gauge on 7.3 L Turbo