F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Should I get a Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I get a Diesel

Ok guys a little background information. First, I drive around 42 miles a day round trip for work. I live in the Northeast (cold winters). I have never owned or driven a diesel. I have the wife's SUV as a family auto (short trips, going out). I have a Honda FourTraxx Foreman that ways around 560lbs. that would be the only consistant item of significantce I'ld be transporting. Right know I am driving a 2000 f150 HD edition. I would like to get a 2005 F250 Lariot in March, maybe we a few miles on it if any are available.

Now the questions:
1) Is diesel much harder to maintain then gas?
2) Does a diesel get much better gas mileage?
3) What are some things one should know about diesel before buying one?

Thanks for the help guys, your awesome.
Nick

Old 10-20-2004, 09:11 PM
For what you just described a diesel is not for you. They require much more maintenance and care than a gas engine. In cold conditions you must let the truck warm up some before you drive it. You may run into problems with the fuel gelling up on you. You will be looking at oil changes at 14qt/change and filters are about $15 ea. (oil change for me costs over $50). Fuel filters must be done about every 10-15k, more if you run in adverse conditions. Bottom line this is not a truck you can just jump in and go or turn off after hard running (it needs to be cooled). For mileage you could get anywhere from 11-18mpg when the engine is breaking in (usually until 10k). Since you're not going to be hauling or putting on very high amounts of mileage then your best bet would be a gas engine. Each year I spend probably $400 minimum in mainteance alone on my diesel. This IMO is the bare minimum needed to make the engine reliable and to keep the resale value up.

Old 10-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Talking Thanks

Thanks ps73, I have come to the sam conclusion. With the price of diesel on the rise and my lack of patience the diesel engine is probably not for me. Especially since I was 16 I have own 5 vehicles and I am only 25. I would never reach the point where the extra cost of diesel was made up for the money I saved on gas.
Thanks again.
Lokks like i will be pricing the 5.4l V8.

Old 10-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Lightbulb Just an idea...

I agree with powerstroke73, doesn't sound like a diesel would be the best bet for you. Diesels are great but definitely not for everyone.

The 5.4L would work fine, but while you're shopping take a V10 6.8L for a test drive. Mine added only $600 (unsure about the '05s) to the price of the truck and it doesn't see to get much worse mileage than the 5.4L-maybe 1 to 2 mpg less on average. Mine gets 11/12 mixed driving & a little over 14mpg on highway trips. I change my oil myself every 4000 miles and it costs about $16.

It's easy to maintain, runs great in cold weather and you get 62hp and 92lb-ft more torque than the 5.4L. It may seem like overkill but you'll have more than enough power in case you get a trailer later on or just want to enjoy a more powerful engine.

Old 10-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Man I wish that my oil changes were that cheap. 14qts of oil plus a $15 full flow filter, and another $15 bypass filter gets expensive. Just glad I can extend out to 10k changed.

Quick Reply: Should I get a Diesel