F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2 Super Duty Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-1999, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2 Super Duty Problems

Anyone else having either of these problems? If so, what was done to correct them?

My windshield wipers do not turn off if I use the INtermitant or low setting. If I select the low speed setting on the wipers, then turn them off, the wipers will remain "on" but in a VERY slow intermittant setting. The only way to get the wipers to completely turn off is to select the high speed setting, then turn the wipers off.

The axle cap on the rear passenger wheel is leaking fluid onto the wheel and down the tire. It is a very slow leak but IS leaking. The dealership has removed the cap on the axle and replaced the seal inside twice already (going on 3 times as of monday). First they thought defective seal, so replaced it. Then they thought there was some rust under the cap causing the leak so they ground down the rust and replaced the seal again, no luck. Now they think that there is something inside the axle that is tearing the seal.

Truck only has 2000 pampered miles on it so far. Therefore I am pretty sure that none of this is caused from abuse.(I never liked to work my trucks hard until I am sure everything is good from the factory:-)
Suggestions?? Comments??

Thanks,
Chris

Old 08-20-1999, 11:33 AM
Exclamation

#1 Sounds like the switch is bad inside.
#2 Make sure when they write the service order that you MAKE them write it out with the very same compaint EACH time. If you have to use the Lemon Law, it will not fly if the service orders say different things. This is how the dealers get out of most Lemon Law suits.

I have had neither problem.

Good Luck

------------------
1999 F250 SD CC, LWB, 5.4L, Auto, 4x4, Power TT mirrors w/ marker lights installed, White, Full Tint, PendaPro SR,
Flowmaster Delta 40 series, open airbox w/ K&N filtercharger.

Old 08-20-1999, 01:51 PM
J-C
Cool

I doubt very much if metal covered with oil from the rear axle would rust!
Get the wiper switch replaced - I've seen other posts that indicate this is a common failure.
So far mine hasn't failed! However, being in Southern California does not afford me many opportunities to use my wipers...

Good Luck!

------------------
1999 F-250 XLT Super Duty Crew Cab Long Bed
V-10, Automatic 4R100, 4.30 Limited Slip.
GVW = 6700# Towing Capacity = 13,300#
4 Wheel ABS disks + Reese 15K hitch
Dark Hunter Green. Ford Running Boards.
Grey Rhino-Liner. Captain's Chairs. CD+Tape
Polished Stainless Steel Wheel-well Molding http://members.home.net/jchartier/jnctrk.html

Old 08-24-1999, 08:30 AM
IMO, Ford's stalk mounted windshield wiper switch is a poor design. I had the switch repaired under warranty on my '93 because I had to "jiggle" it for the intermittant wipers to work. The second switch did the same thing within two years. I just got used to jiggling it since I would have to pay to replace now. My dad has '94 Ford van with that you have to do the same thing. I had a '97 Taurus company car that I got brand new ( and loved) and it was starting to need the jiggle trick at 33,000 miles when I left my previous company.

If its under warranty, get it replaced. If not, decide if its a safety hazard and get it fixed or just live with it. But after its replaced, the new switch will eventually do the same thing.

Maybe I'm an old relic, but why can't we go back to a dash mounted wiper switch like in the old days. I occasionally drive an '89 F250 with the dash switch, and its great. You turn it to the left for intermittant wipers, and turn it to the right for constant wipers. It isn't any harder to operate and you don't have to jiggle it. We can thank Toyota and Honda for influencing the change. Oh well, at least the headlight switch is still on the dash were it belongs.

------------------
'93 Regular Cab XLT Shortbed, 5.0, K&N, Borla, 160,000 miles; Future SuperCrew owner.

Quick Reply: 2 Super Duty Problems