F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

5.4L SD computer w/ SuperChip installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-1999, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5.4L SD computer w/ SuperChip installation

When you install a SuperChip in the SD 5.4L V8, the plastic cover (that goes around the vehicle computer) sticks out further than without the chip. Just wondering if anyone kind of forced the plastic cover forward and used the original mounting screw holes or if you did something else to secure the computer. I am using duct tape at the moment and would like something a little more secure but don't want to harm the chip or the computer.

Thanks,

Clif

Old 07-22-1999, 07:18 PM
Talking

Can't help ya, but I'd like to know how the chip is performing. Anything to rave about?

------------------
1999 F250 SD CC, LWB, 5.4L, Auto, 4x4, Power TT mirrors w/ marker lights installed, White, Full Tint, PendaPro SR
open airbox w/ K&N filtercharger.

Old 07-22-1999, 11:25 PM
I also am using tape to hold the computer in place. Where is Mike when we need him?

Old 07-22-1999, 11:38 PM
Thumbs up

The SuperChip is just that - a SUPERCHIP! I definitly recommend it. I could feel an increase in power immediately after installation. The shifts are much better - almost like factory at lower rpm's but much crisper (not jerky) when you are "feedin the ponies". I can see it rev's higher before shifting and just feels like I have a bigger engine. The only problem I had was the no start thing. I sent SuperChips my chip and computer around 6:00 one evening, did without my truck the following day and got the chip back the following morning at 10:00 - up and running by 10:15. It is a great product and definitly worth the money.

Clif

Old 07-23-1999, 07:52 AM
Iwould not say I forced it but the Superchip does fit on the computer with the plastic cover in place using the stock mounting holes. I would say its a very comfortable snug fit

------------------
99 F-250SD SC 4x4,5.4l,5spd,4.10ls,K&N,Ram-air,2-Chamber Flowmaster,3' lift,315/75/16 Wild Country All-terrain Radials, Superchip, TPS Set,Dual steering stabilizers, Blue crystal driving lights,Arrow High Top Canopy.dual front shocks,10 disc cd changer, class IV hitch, hood deflector,window vent shades,

Old 07-23-1999, 08:42 AM
I have a superchip in my Superduty with the 5.4L engine. Yes it is a little difficult to get the computer to mount back into its original spot with the plastic cover back over it, but I did it. You just have to push on the end while lining up the screws into the holes. Iwas also a little concerned over the pressure I had to exert to get it to re-mount, but I have not had any problems since I installed in back in March.

Doug.

------------------
'99 F-250 Super Duty, 4x4, SC, XLT, 5.4L, 4.10LS gears, Deep Metallic Blue/Med. Graphite, Superchip.

Old 07-23-1999, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the responses. I also had it attached as it was before the chip but after I sent it in for the no start problem, Mike told me "too much" pressure on the chip was not good, so I just used the duct tape. Since you all have had no problems I will probubly put a little pressure on it and install it like before the chip.

Thanks again,

Clif

Old 07-26-1999, 12:59 AM
4x4
Had the same problem tonight, just installed the chip and was wondering same thing. I just put the screws in and screwed them into the metal until they touched. Kinda keeps them in place and gives some support to computer.

------------------
99 F250SD Black Lariat Crew Cab 4x4, 4inch Procomp lift, 35x15.50 Swampers, 16.5x9.75 Weld Scorpios, Full Billet grill, LIne-X liner, Procomp and Rancho shocks, 40 Series Flowmaster, recalibrated speedo, superchipped

Old 07-29-1999, 12:00 AM
4X4,

I went ahead and applied a little pressure and used the factory mounting holes and everything seems to work just fine.

Now that you have your speedometer working properly, what kind of mileage do you get with the big tires? And how does it handle? I am considering a lift just to stop the squeaking in the front end! (and because the SD's I have seen lifted look very impressive) .

Clif

Old 07-29-1999, 03:45 PM
4x4
Clif, noticed your a fellow Texan! Where in East Texas do you live? I live in Baytown which is 20 minutes from Houston. About the lift, it rode pretty well before I put on the 35 inch swampers. I had 33 inch BFG all terrains before I put the lift on and after I put the lift on for a few months. The 33 BFG rode very well with the lift. I went with the swampers because I wanted a wider tire and BFG's widest is a 12.50. The swampers are 15.50's. I'd say that if you stick to a radial tire and put on the rancho 9000 adjustable shocks the ride will be as good or better than stock. The only time I notice my truck to be a little rough other than the tires, is when I hit small deep bumps in the road. I can jump railroad tracks with a ramp with no bouncing at all. The smaller bumps give the most bounce but I have gotten used to it. The mileage before I put the lift on but with the 33's was 11.0 in the city and 12.5 on the highway. After the 35's and the recalibration which brought everything back to stock I got 11 on the highway although I got the chip one tank later so I didn't get to try this for very long. After the chip I got 12.5 on a trip to New Braunsfels, but I have been told that the chip takes about 2-4 weeks to fully help everything. I am hoping that I can get 14 on the highway someday soon. I think when I go back to radial swampers my mileage will improve because these tires that I have now shake alot a highway speeds. I have gotten rebalanced 3 times and it hasn't really helped so I think I just about ready to get the radial swampers. Since I got the chip I have been gassing it pretty hard around town, at least this last tank and I still got 10.5 MPG. I also will note that I am a leadfoot and I am always speeding. If I drove like my dad I no doubt would get better mpg but I can't help my self. Also be noted that I didn't have my cruise control working when I went to NEW B, because my dealer didn't have the proper fix for the recall so they disconnected it. Mileage would have been better than what I got if I could have stayed at one speed. Sorry this is so long. Overall it is getting decent mileage considering the 35's. If I missed any of your questions let me know. Your not an AGGIE are you? -4X4

Old 08-02-1999, 09:51 PM
4X4,

I live in Lufkin. I've been out of town the last few days so sorry about the late post. No, I'm not an Aggie, I am a Stephen F. Austin State University grad. I really like my truck! This weekend I got 14.75 mpg on the highway - this was with some street driving also. My goal is 15 mpg. Any updated mpg info for your truck? And also, how did you like the SuperChip?

Clif

Old 08-03-1999, 03:55 PM
4x4
Clif, Like the chip so far. Power definitely improved but hasn't helped in mpg yet. I haven't gone anywhere except in and out of traffic in Houston so I guess it's not a fair judgement. Glad to here you are not an aggie! I am taking my truck in for the cruise control and brake shield recalls Thurs and they are also fixing my coin holder on the console. They are actually giving me a whole new fold down piece, wondering if I should bother taking the chip out.

Old 08-04-1999, 08:01 PM
4X4,

My truck was in last week and I didn't bother taking out the chip. Since I put the screws in like before the chip, you can't see any evidence of the chip. Good luck with the console.

Clif

Old 08-05-1999, 02:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HI CLIF, and everyone else too!

Glad to see you guys got your Superchips installed, and you're up and running. It's generally agreed that the Superchip is simply the best bang-for-the-buck power gainer you can install on a computer controlled vehicle, especially a Ford. V-10's, Powerstroke diesels, you name it, we have a Superchip for it.

With regards to gas mileage with the Superchip, the *potential* for better mileage is there, and it's merely a by-product of the optimized spark advance curves used on part-throttle, so your results will depend on your right foot, and your local fuel quality. Not just octane, but actual BTU content, and anything that is "reformulated":, or "oxygenated", will have less energy, and will hurt your fuel mileage, with or without the Superchip.

Most of our F150 V-8 guys are getting 1.5 to 3.5 more mpg when cruising. Our Super Duty gasoline engine owners are reporting anywhere from no increase in mileage to as much as 3 more mpg, and some have reported gains as large as 41% better mileage! Now of course *that* kind of percentage improvement usually only happens with the larger trucks, who are getting only 9-10 to start with, and end up getting 12-13 mpg with the Superchip. There are also some of our customers who have such a load on their vehicles that they don't see any increase in mileage, so it's just going to depend on your particular configuration and driving conditions, etc.

Our bests to all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 09-02-1999).]

Old 08-05-1999, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for the double post, gang.