F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Increased Load Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-1999, 04:35 PM
J-C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Increased Load Capacity

Does anyone know how much of an INCREASE in load capacity the Camper Package provides?
The Camper Package does add one extra leaf to the rear spring set. I was wondering if this would equate to additional load capacity.
Thanks.

------------------
1999 F-250 XLT Super Duty Crew Cab Long Bed
V-10, Automatic 4R100, 4.30 Limited Slip.
GVW = 6700# Towing Capacity = 13,300#
4 Wheel ABS disks + Reese 15K hitch
Dark Hunter Green. Ford Running Boards.
Grey Rhino-Liner. Captain's Chairs. CD+Tape
Polished Stainless Steel Wheel-well Molding http://members.home.net/jchartier/jnctrk.html

Old 08-23-1999, 05:48 PM
4x4
I would think it would increase load capacity. When you add an add-a-leaf it supposedly adds to the capacity so to me this basically would be the same idea.

------------------
99 F250SD Black Lariat Crew Cab 4x4, 4inch Procomp lift, 35x15.50 Swampers, 16.5x9.75 Weld Scorpios, Full Billet grill, LIne-X liner, Procomp and Rancho shocks, 40 Series Flowmaster, recalibrated speedo, superchipped,K&N filter,2 JL audio 10's behind rear seat, audio art 6channel amp

Old 08-24-1999, 03:16 AM
J-C,

I have the camper package on my F250 CC. It adds an overload spring, the kind that only works when a heavy load is being carried.(each end of the spring rests on a perch mounted on the frame) Also the camper pkg includes a sway bar. I don't recall anything in the Ford brochure stating increased capacity. The camper pkg also comes with a certificate from Ford stating that my capacity is certified at1700lbs.

Old 08-24-1999, 07:01 PM
Exclamation

There has been numerous posts about the camper package with the F-250 over at http://www.ford-diesel.com Everyone seems to be at an agreement over there that if you plan on putting a camper in the back of the truck to get an F-350. You can add all the leaf springs and helper springs you want to the F-250 but legally (depending on where you live) you're still not allowed to go over the 8,800 gvwr. It's really something to think about if you plan on hauling around a camper that will put you over. Sure, the truck might handle the load with no problem but, if you're ever in an accident and they find out you were overloaded well, expect at least some hefty fines.

Old 08-25-1999, 12:18 AM
J-C
Question

Thanks! V10Man.
I also ordered the Camper Package. My "certificate" says 1931 pound capacity.
I expected "more" and thought that the helper-spring wasn't included.
I'm getting a 5th Wheel Trailer and the
ones I'm looking at have a hitch weight
close to a ton. I was hoping that the
"extra" leaf the Camper Package supplied
might give me some "reserve capacity" on
the hitch weight.
Am I correct - or just hoping for more
than I have??????

I'll be in Yuma over the long Labor Day weekend. Where are you gonna be, V10Man?

------------------
Polished Stainless Steel Wheel-well Molding http://members.home.net/jchartier/jnctrk.html

Old 08-25-1999, 03:16 AM
J-C

I'm guessing that Ford came up with the "camper certificate" to cover their butt. When I decided to order my truck, I looked closely at the 250 vs 350. They both had the same axle capacity but the 350 had 1000lbs more overall capacity. I figured it was the springs. I thought that if I ordered the camper pkg it would boost my capacity closer to the 350's. I think you would be OK with your 5th wheel assuming that Ford means 1931 pounds all day, every day. Just keep your total weight below the GCWR.

Yuma huh?? It's HOT there now! Are you crazy? Just kidding... If I can get a couple extra days off, I'm planning on going to Lake Powell over Labor Day.

Old 08-25-1999, 04:40 PM
J-C
Hey! V10Man. Thanks for the tips. I picked my 250 because it will out-tow a 350 (simply because the 350 weighs more and the GCVW on both is 20000#).
I just bought a 5th wheel trailer and the hitch weight is 1910# so I guess I'll not exceed my 1931# certification.
I've selected Yuma because it is the closest Out-of-State location with a good selection of RV parks to me. Have fun at the Lake...

------------------

Trending Topics

Old 09-07-1999, 02:31 PM
J-C
Cool

V10Man - Yuma was HOT. 104-108 over the long weekend. 73-75 at night.
I sure was impressed with the way my V10 pulled a 6 ton trailer Maintained the speed limit up and over the Tacate Divide on I-8 (sea level to 4190' and back in < 80 miles) with minimal down-shifting.
I bought this truck for towing. I picked a trailer that is just under the limits of both hitch weight and GCVW. This truck didn't even work up a sweat. Had A/C on across the desert and the Temp Guage stayed where it usually sits (lower half of Operating Range).
How was the lake???

Old 09-08-1999, 02:51 AM
Smile

J-C

Yep, Yuma is a hot place. Try it in the winter, if you can even find a place. The snow birds take over Yuma and Quartsite for a few months. We didn't make it to the lake. Decided to save the $ and get some chores done around the house. I'm glad your rig worked well for you. I think Ford did a great job with the cooling system. Both my 97 F150 and my 99SD never moved the temp guage. Even on long, pedel to the floor, hill climbs the guage stays put.

Old 09-08-1999, 11:58 AM
J-C
Cool

I picked a spot for the trailer between some nice shade trees. I think I found the ONLY shady spot in Yuma I'll leave the rig there for the winter - got a jump on the snow-birds by moving in during the HEAT.
For pics take a look at: http://members.home.net/jechartier/newhome.html
Sorry to hear you didn't make it to the lake.

[This message has been edited by J-C (edited 09-08-1999).]

Old 09-08-1999, 11:39 PM
Hey J-C

Nice rig. Sound like what I ordered except for the gears and 4x4. I was curious on the gas mileage pulling your house on wheels.

Plus Yuma is a only 20 miles away from my favorite place, the Sand Dunes. I need my new rig to pull all of my toys down there.

------------------
On ORDER: 2000 250 XLT,4x4 , CC, V10, 3.73LS, Camper Pckg., LWB, Silver, 4wheel ABS, Power Telescoping mirrors, ESOF, due in October.

Old 09-09-1999, 04:21 PM
J-C
Thumbs up

I've been getting around 12.4 MPG for all "empty" driving. This is calculated from "day 1".
With my limited experience pulling a trailer, I calculated 9.0 MPG on the single 180 mile trip. Filled tank, hitched trailer, drove to Yuma, unhitched and filled tank (20 gallons).
I'd like to see more miles towing to get a better feel. So far, I'm happy.
Drove right past those dunes... With temp at 108, I was surprised to see people running around out there. Not as many as there was last Christmas, however

BTW - My father-in-law pulls a 30' AirStream trailer with his '99 Suburban 454. He gets 7 MPG pulling and 9.5 empty He's so upset, he's going to retire his baseball cap that says, "I'd rather Push a Chevy than Drive a Ford"
I told him to give it to me - and I'd mount it like a trophy

[This message has been edited by J-C (edited 09-09-1999).]

Quick Reply: Increased Load Capacity