F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Captains chairs vs 40/20/40

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2000, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Captains chairs vs 40/20/40

I am going to order a 2001 F-350 and would like to know the pro's and con's on the seats. I am a full time RV'er and spend a lot of time driving. I would like your opinions on one style vs the other. Your likes and dislikes. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2000, 06:02 PM
Thumbs up

I have the 60/40 split bench. I like it better than the Captains chairs.[list=1][*]With the center console flipped down you get a bigger armrest.[*]In a pinch you could fit a small person in the middle[*]Your significant other can sit close to you [/list=a]
Although, I do have to admit, I would like the console that comes with the Captains chairs. The one with the 60/40 is kind of shallow.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT SC 4x4
  • 4.6L
  • 5-Speed Manual
  • Deep Wedgewood Blue
  • Dark Graphite Cloth Interior
  • Single CD Stereo
  • Sliding Rear Window
  • Remote Keyless Entry
Pics: www.bigfoot.com/~trelease

Old 04-16-2000, 08:20 PM
Cool

Good question!!! I chose the captains chairs because:
1: the console is huge
2: lots more room for JUST two people up front, there's never any question of having to put a third person in the middle
3: the console is huge
4: they cost nothing to upgrade to captains chairs in the superduty
5: the console is huge
I test drove trucks w/both types of seats. I even test drove a work truck w/vinal (truly terrible) bench seats. The drivers seat in the 40/20/40 and the captains chairs seemed to be about the same. So for me it came to how much "stuff" the console would hold. The 40/20/40's console will barely hold a hair brush and a tube of lipstick!!! The one in my diesel holds all kinds of needy things like my leather gloves for when I need to get fuel. And my log book for recording milage. You need to go test "sit" in both seats and then you should be able to pick the one that's best for you.

------------------
2000 F250 Crew Cab 4x2 6 speed Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, mud flaps
Trailer tow Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards
rear privacy glass, 265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate
unaFORDable (decal on tailgate)

Old 04-17-2000, 01:31 AM
From my SD shopping (ended up getting a 150 though) it looks like the two are exactly the same. The only difference being the center 20 portion and that the captains chairs have a built in armrest. But the Seat & Seat Back look exactly alike.

------------------
quzax@my-f150.com
My-F150.com & My-F250.com (coming soon)
------------------
On Order (4-12-00):
:: MM F-150 XLT SC SS 4x4 SB ORP 3.55LS 5.4L :: Deep Wedgewood Blue / Silver / Dark Graphite :: Cab Steps :: Elec. 4x4 :: Keyless :: 6-disc :: Power Seat :: Capt. Chairs :: Soft Tonneau :: Slider :: Tow pkg. :: Splash Guards :: Hood Deflector ::

Old 04-17-2000, 09:06 AM
I went with the Captains chairs. They are not great but I have a small son who sits in the back seat of my crew cab and it works better not having the bigger fold down thingy in the way if we need to reach back for something.

I had GM products prior to this Ford and I must admit that GM has Ford beat when it comes to captains chairs. The ones in the Ford are very narrow in the seating area. But all in all, I still prefer them to the 40/20/40.

Old 04-17-2000, 08:11 PM
Cool

I have the 40/20/40 (Closer to a 38/24/38), I chose it for the ability to have a six'th person and because the arm rest is better than the captians chairs.

I did have a friend who found the 40/20/40 less comfortable than the captians chairs since the 20% seat didn't let his seat spread out as much as he liked. (The captians chairs let him have over on both sides).

The huge console is nice, but I could never seem ti find the item in the bottom when I needed it. The 20% seat storage is nice and aderquate for me.

Yep, the actuial 40% and Captians seats are exactly the same, just one has an arm rest attached.

Old 04-22-2000, 12:20 AM
dcd
One thought... From my previous experinces and other trucks I have observed (not necessarily SD's), the center armrest has a tendency to get broken over time. Inevitably, you are going to be reaching for that huge road atlas lying on the back floorboard, or whatever you have lying back there, and the armrest gets in the way. Not only that you end up leaning on it with your bodyweight while reaching back there, and overtime it will just break off or bend.

Quick Reply: Captains chairs vs 40/20/40