F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Superduty Problems so far

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2000, 08:28 AM
mjs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Superduty Problems so far

I was curious at to what problems you have seen with your superduties so far. My list is as follows:

1. Squeaky Front Springs - 1st TSB performed last fall. That did not help. Ford is working on a new fix.

2. Warped Rotors - Dealer changed to the 13mm rotors instead of the 10mm ones. Also installed a new style brake pad. Problem solved for now.

3. Left front hub would not lock in. Dealer changed hubs to 2000 style ones.

4. Leaking front wheel seals - corrected

5. Truck wanders horribly - This stared at about 18,000 miles. dealer aligned truck, but it did not help. I am going to have them look at the steering box next. That seems to be a common problem.

6. Misaligned bushing on the sway bar dog legs. The rubber bushings pushed out to one side, causing metal on metal. dealer replaced these.

7. Clunk in front left side of truck. I can feel this under the floorboards. The dealer said the cab mount bolts were loose.
This problem is still present.

8. 60 mph vibration - This turned out to the the exhaust resopnance problem. I removed the exhaust and put a custom cat back dual exhaust system on it. - Problem solved.

A person sure does not get much for $30,000!

I really like this truck, but it sure is disappointing when I traded in my D*dge which I brought to the dealer once in 70,000 miles. And that was for a very minor problem!

------------------
99 F250SD SC, V10, Superchip, 2"Superlift,
35x12.50 BFG MTs

Old 03-02-2000, 04:58 PM
I have around 3000 miles on my 2000 F350 V10 and have not had any problems yet. Most of those miles were with a 2000lb camper in the bed, plus about 1000lbs of people and cargo. Ford is not the only manufacturer that has problems from time to time. I have seen posts from and known many people with similar complaints about Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, etc...

I hope your problems get resolved, and that I don't suffer the same. But the way I look at it is that it's just a truck. I still have my health and loving wife.

I'm sure I will catch some flack about the "Just a truck..." comment. But after all, it can be replaced. Some things cannot.

Old 03-05-2000, 05:07 PM
Cool

Boy mjs,
sorry to hear about your problems, sounds WAY out of oridnary. I have a 1999, and besides two recalls have had not a problem. And I'm kind of a perfectionist, too. I tow a 10,400 lb 5th wheel so have had opportunity to administer some "punishment" to it - I actually think the truck likes to be tortured. Just keeps running better and better. Anyway, no problems here and I hope you've found the end to yours!!
Good luck!

------------------
1999 F250SD, XLT, 4x2, SC, V10, 4.30, LT235x85x16R, Longbed, Diamond plate mud flaps,Trailer tow Pkg, Class IV hitch, Camper special, sliding rear window, rear privacy glass, Ford rain gutters, Line-X, Lund wind deflector, Banks Trans Command, Banks tranny temp guage with Auto Meter single guage pod. Reese 15K fifth wheel hitch

Old 03-06-2000, 07:40 AM
Here is my list so far.....
1. cold start knock, engine on order
2. recall, cruise control cable
3. recall, fuel tank/bed straps
4. parking brake rubber bump stop came off
5. exterior passenger door handle didn't work(off the lot)
6. pinion seal leaking
7. paint vanished off the diff. cover/rusted(repainted by dealer)
8. squeaky dash suround(fixed by me during stero install with Vasoline)
9. squeaking steering wheel, fixed by dealer, lasted 3 days, going back Tuesday...
10. Kids pulled off lock ****... fixed by me

Old 03-06-2000, 09:09 AM
Cool

I've not got enough miles on yet to really have any problems so about the only thing I can complain about is the rising price of diesel. Oh yea, my SD came with those really crappy cup holders, you know the ones that will dump your drink whenever you turn any curve. My dealer has already switched mine out for the new and improved model

------------------
2000 F250 Crew Cab 4x2 6 speed Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, mud flaps
Trailer tow Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards
rear privacy glass, 265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate

Old 03-07-2000, 03:08 PM
Tina,

Was the cup holder covered by waranty? Is there a TSB to reference? I would also like to have mine swapped out for something better.

Old 03-07-2000, 07:41 PM
Cool

Mark: I've not heard of any recals or TSB's on the cupholders. What I've heard on the ford-diesel board is that some have had it replaced, with the new cup holder, under warrenty because it broke. A lot of the guys have gone to the parts department to order this part but then found the parts guy didn't have a clue what they were talking about. They would have to drag the parts guy out to a new SD and show them what they wanted. I just happen to have a really great salesman and he switched mine out for me. Of course he just could have gotten tired of me coming by all the time and complaining about the crappy cupholders to any salesman I could grab!! I've heard new ones are costing in the $40 range. Look into a new SD, they don't have the pull out ashtray like we do. They have this weird hook thingy!!!

Trending Topics

Old 03-09-2000, 09:54 AM
mjs,

The clunk under the left front area seems to be common to F-250 and Excursions. My Excusion is doing this. Ford wants to loosen
the cab bolts and re-align the cab on the frame. Has any one else had this done? If so does it work? On my vehicle the noise goes away when the brakes are applied, which makes me question this proposed repair.

Old 03-09-2000, 03:34 PM
B&Tman
I too have the squeaking springs and the klunking noise (only on really rough roads though) along with a pending engine replacement and now it won't idle (dies immediately when let off gas). I too traded in a Dodge but mine was a piece of crap (at dealer more than I had it). Don't sound like cab bolts to me, sounds like suspension problems.

Old 03-12-2000, 03:06 AM
In the first 2,500 miles I had mine towed in twice. First dealership, mis-diagnosed the problem. Problem was truck would shift into 4X4 low and not come out. Turned out to be a problem they had on '99s with the GEM module that was supposed to be fixed. Sure was not a good first impression given this was my first diesel and F-250 (have owned nothing but Ford's for 14 years now: F-150 (2), Bronco (sold with 215,000 miles, Taurus (wife) and currently own Expedition also). I now have 12,000 miles and have had no additional problems and really like the truck.

------------------
2000 F-250, PSD, White CC 4X4 Lariat. Snugtop, Tuff Bedliner

Old 03-13-2000, 02:26 AM
Darn parking brake rubber bumper broke in half again. Out of warranty so it's JB weld to the rescue....

Old 03-13-2000, 08:14 PM
Wink

Oh darn-it! I let my F250 sit for a couple of days and got a little dust on it. Easy fix though. Hope everyone is doing fine...

Old 03-13-2000, 10:36 PM
Love it F250NUT. I just bought one and I don't think I need any more negatives today. The wife is already sucking all the joy out of this one for me. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2000, 12:30 AM
Well, took delivery of my F350 CrewCab on 12/29. To date, I have 6398 miles on it.

Problems so far:
Pulling to the left - dealer did alignment and seems to be corrected.

Drivers side is 3/4 in lower than passenger side doing measurements at the corner - doubt I will do anything about it because I am going to put a leveling kit on it to raise the front end up and it can be shimmed at that time to get it to sit level.

Diesel cackle - Ford does not have a fix available yet. It is an annoying sound but I figure they will get a fix for it sooner or later.

Front bumper could stand being reinstalled to make it fit better but I probably will never do anything about it.

Fuel economy is not great - but I knew it would not be when I bought the truck so no need to do lots of complaining.

Other than that...I think I got a pretty good truck. Granted I may have more problems later on but I probably will buy the extended warranty because of hearing lots of reported problems as they get older or more miles.

Old 03-16-2000, 09:38 PM
It happened again!!

3,000 miles came around, and I had to change oil again.

The machine just keeps on purrin' - or is that slarlin'??

------------------
1999 F250SD, XLT, 4x2, SC, V10, 4.30, LT235x85x16R, Longbed, Diamond plate mud flaps,Trailer tow Pkg, Class IV hitch, Camper special, sliding rear window, rear privacy glass, Ford rain gutters, Line-X, Lund wind deflector, Banks Trans Command, Banks tranny temp guage with Auto Meter single guage pod. Reese 15K fifth wheel hitch

Quick Reply: Superduty Problems so far