F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

dealer says 20000$ over cost

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2000, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question dealer says 20000$ over cost

HELLO TO THE SUPER DUTY CLUB; WENT OUT & TEST DROVE A 2000 4X4 F-250 S-D CREW CAB LARIAT, IT WAS GREAT!!! HAD 6.8 V10 AUTO,LT265/75RX16E ALL TERAINE 4.30 L/S ELEC-SHIFT-ON FLY,SLIDING REAR WINDOW,CAMPER PACKAGE,POWER TELESCOPIC MIRRORS,OFF ROAD PACKAGE,PREMIUM AM/FM/CASS/CD,TRAILER HITCH RECIVER,PRIVACY GLASS, LOWER 2-TONE PAINT+DESTINATION(690$) DEALER COST?? THEY SAY 31381.80$ ADD 2000 AND ITS MINE=33381.80HAVE NOT INCLUDING TAG TAX &TITLE,WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD GUIDE ME ALITTLE ON WALK OUT PRICE, I WAS THINKING MORE LIKE 31,611-32,500. THANK YOU

------------------
BB
1997 4x4 Reg Cab xlt.4.6
Superchiped,flowmasters
bfgoodrich k.o.2657017
K&N filter w/wms velocity tube,diamond plate UWS toolbox

Old 04-22-2000, 11:04 PM
I check edmunds on your truck with your options. The Dealer Invoice for that truck is going to be around $31,524, (This includes the 690 dest, and 250 fdaf, but NOT Tax/Title/Tags).

Some of the best deals I've seen are in the $100 to $500 over dealer invoice price + TTT.

Which if you can get out the door under $32,000 consider it a great deal.. Once you drive it you'll realize its worth twice that amount .
32,500 would be a good deal as well.

------------------
Y2K F250 XLT SC 4x2 5.4L 5sp 4.10LS

Old 04-23-2000, 06:54 AM
R Bess, thats about right where i was thinking,also salesperson mentioned fdaf,i think this is for advertising,anyway thanks for input.

Old 04-23-2000, 08:42 AM
Cool

A lot of times it's hard to make any kind of deal on a truck that's sitting on the lot. Your best deals are on trucks you order. That being said, go over to www.kbb.com look up your truck and print out the prices. Then take this to the dealer. Another thing you could try is www.autobytel.com and they will direct you to a dealer in your area that will sell you a truck at about 3% over invoice. And my trick is to play one dealer against another dealer. Take your lowest price you get from one dealer to another dealer and ask him to beat it. And whatever you do, don't let the salesman know that you've fallen in love with the truck they have. The salesman will never come off the price because they know they've already got you, hook, line and sinker.

------------------
2000 F250 Crew Cab 4x2 6 speed Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, mud flaps
Trailer tow Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards
rear privacy glass, 265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate
unaFORDable (decal on tailgate)

Old 04-23-2000, 09:13 AM
I'll give my two cents for a penny, just read what Tina said.
I've done exactly that for three vehicles in the last year and it works well.

------------------

Old 04-23-2000, 11:58 AM
I like this one.

Your first sentence starts with "I am ready to buy today...name your best price ..I'm leaving to FINISH comparing prices from several sources..... I will only be back if yours is the best price."

Compare apples to apples even if you have to order.

This tends to cut through all the bull pretty good.

------------------
1999 F250 SD CC, LWB, 5.4L, Auto, 3.73, 4x4, Power TT mirrors w/ marker lights, White, Full Tint, PendaPro SR, Flowmaster Delta 40 series, K&N filtercharger, Superchip (Airbox removed for a second try, maybe in the winter it will be advantagous?) Lund Elite soft tonneau

www.angelfire.com/pa3/spaceace/index.html

Old 04-23-2000, 03:42 PM
Thumbs up

Thankyou,tina,all44chem,&spaceace,i am going to do what tina as suggested,one question though,tina do u mean to take order sheet to each dealer& see who is the lowest? thanks.

------------------
BB
1997 4x4 Reg Cab xlt.4.6
Superchiped,flowmasters
bfgoodrich k.o.2657017

Trending Topics

Old 04-23-2000, 10:22 PM
Heck, I'll sell you one for a mere $10,000 over cost!

Old 04-24-2000, 08:44 AM
Thumbs up

Bobby: go into the "kbb" site. print out the invoice/msrp prices for the truck you want. Make sure you also have all the invoice prices for all the options. This way if you look at a truck and it's got some other option than what you had wanted, you will know the real price you should be paying for that option. Rarely will you find two identical trucks on two different lots for you to be able to compair "apples to apples". So you need to be well informed on these prices so you'll know if the dealer is really ripping you off. On my invoice I had to pay Destination of $665, Gas of $16.50, and FDAF of $160. I've heard that Gas and FDAF can be sometimes higher and sometimes lower. Take the papers you get from the computer to the dealer and refer to them. This works better if you are ordering but you will still have a bit of leverage room by knowing the invoice prices. And do look on the internet for autobytel. They had a dealer in my area call me and I had him send the price of the truck I wanted to my internet address. I printed it out and took it to different dealers that were closer to me than he was. I told each dealer that if they "beat" that price, then I would sign right then. Otherwise I just thanked them and walked out. Let them know you will walk out!! Make them believe it!!!! This worked for me. This does not work if you have a trade in! Trade ins will only cost you what ever you have managed to gain in the new vehical price. So if you have a trade, then sell it on your own.

Old 04-24-2000, 09:06 AM
Lightbulb

Tina,checked out "kbb"site,getting information, looks real good,also will check w/ autobytel,and yes i do have a trade and will sell privately.might take a little time,will let you know.

Old 04-24-2000, 09:06 AM
Lightbulb

Tina,checked out "kbb"site,getting information, looks real good,also will check w/ autobytel,and yes i do have a trade and will sell privately.might take a little time,will let you know.

Old 04-24-2000, 09:24 AM
I ordered my truck last year and paid $500 over invoice. It took a while to get it and I got impatient and decided I would go find one on a lot that was comparable to what I wanted. I found that I was going to pay almost $2000 more if I got it right then off a lot. There just were no deals at that time because of supply and demand. If the supply is better now, you can do better than $2k over invoice. If the supply is no better, you probably will not get a taker on giving you a lower price. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2000, 03:12 PM
rick K,THANKS,i have been reading about the supply & demand,think i am going to take my time& special order.Tina got all the numbers& even contated auto by tel,gave me a name of a local store..

------------------
BB
1997 4x4 Reg Cab xlt.4.6
Superchiped,flowmasters
bfgoodrich k.o.2657017

Old 04-24-2000, 04:43 PM
I don't know when the cutoff is for ordering a 2000 vs when they begin taking orders for 2001 models. Something you may want to consider is that you will be buying a truck that is practically a year old already if you order a 2000. If you can wait, I personally would order a 2001. That is a decision you have to weigh yourself.

I configured my truck via kbb.com and autobytel.com. I submitted the info thru both services and got back dealer info from the services. I had dealers contact me both via telephone and via E-mail. I checked for people who had ordered from the various places and chose one. I E-mail the fleet guy at a dealer fairly close to me and confirmed that he would order for $500 over. We talked on the telephone a couple of times and he faxed me the order info and then faxed me the confirmation from Ford indicating they had accepted the order. The first time I actually saw the guy was the day before my truck arrived. Everything else was handled by E-mail or telephone. It was pretty painless, except for writing him a check for $30k+.

By the way, I told the guy I did not know whether or not I was going to trade my other truck. I placed my old truck up for sale 3 weeks before my truck was supposed to arrive. I had a potential buyer but he had yet to come up with the money when mine came in. I looked my truck up and knew pretty much what I could get for it on trade-in. I took it to the dealer the day before my truck came in and they made me an offer on the trade-in. I turned it down. The day my truck arrived, the used car/truck sales guy called me and asked me why I turned down the trade-in. I told him how much I wanted and we got within $100 when you consider the difference in the sales tax, etc. I traded the truck and eliminated the hassle of dealing with selling it myself.

Good luck, which every way you decide to go.

[This message has been edited by RickK (edited 04-24-2000).]

Old 04-24-2000, 06:52 PM
Rick K, GOT THE MESSAGE,I new they might be switching over soon,also i noticed that they went from a 95 amp alternator to a 130 amp alt-after 4-3-00?dont think i will be writing a check that large;have to find a good intrest rate 48-60 month.my problem w/ trade in is my present truck is a 97 reg-cab xlt 4x4w/orp. last dealer i met with said 13000$,(no way)edmunds price w/ options=16830$ not including new bfg-265-70-17& front pads;w/s wipers,frt-bulbs i will keep u-&tina up to date

Quick Reply: dealer says 20000$ over cost