F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

V10 vs PowerStroke

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2000, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This seems like an endless heated debate. I am stuck on the Crewcab because of my #1 hobbie, Racing dirt bikes in cross country events that are at least 2 sometimes 10 hrs away from home. Hauling 4-5 poeple that length of time gets pretty uncomftorble in my supercab. The initial cost and increase in payment is what is realy stearing me away from the PSD right now.

Old 09-26-2000, 10:31 PM
Tina, I'm glad that you like your diesel. I guess that we'll agree to disagree on the V-10 vs. PSD debate. Enjoy your truck.

Old 09-27-2000, 12:26 AM
Wink

Tina, your reply is more than a "tad" biased towards the diesel. It's plain to see that you are happy with your engine choice.
Tina, obviously you took this to heart. The average guy DOES NOT get a discount from Cat on oil, etc., so the oil change price for everyone DOES NOT apply. It would cost more to "do it yourself" at home. I too, read F-D. The general cost of a Motorcraft filter is $9.95 + tax at a Wal-Mart. I've not seen a $27 oil change there yet and that is after over 1 year on that board. Furthermore, the vast majority of them are running full synthetic oil. We all know that it costs more than $1 per quart.
Spaceace and cphilip, the price for the "ego" is up to $4700+ on the 2001 SD. I just checked the prices.

[This message has been edited by WWBF150 (edited 09-26-2000).]

Old 09-27-2000, 09:25 AM
Cool

Sorry if I gave the impression that I was disagreeing, I didn't mean to.

TwinSpar: The V10 would work fantasticly in the situation you just mentioned. And yes, it's sure cheaper than the PSD!! You're gonna love that CrewCab And your buddys that have to ride in the back will thank you too.

Old 09-27-2000, 11:01 AM
Banned
For those of you with the 5.4 in your Superduty, what if you had more HP and TRQ than a V10? I have got some great info on Magnacharger kits, just shoot me an email (in sig). I couldn't be happier with mine!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Styleside

5.4, 4x4, Reg.Cab, 120" WB, White, Sport Pkg.

- Bell Tech lowering kit (3-4 drop)
- Gen II Lightning Wheels
- B'stone 285 60 18 tires
- Magnacharger S/C Kit
- Hi-Flo Intake Kit (my design)

dwh@dynojet.com

Old 09-29-2000, 06:48 PM
Or better yet, how would you V10 owners like to have twice the horsepower of the PSD and a hair more torque? Couple those two tantilizing features with gas mileage equal to that of the PSD and the superquiet smooth operation of the V10 and you've got your dream come true. Maintain your ultra affordable oil changes and engine repair cost (if any at all)who could possibly want anything more?

Ricky B.

2000 F250SC 2wd w/ Vortech supercharged V10.
Fabtech 6" lift with dual Sway Away 2 1/2" Race Runner resevoir ft. shocks and 3" Emulsion rears on 16.5"x9.75" Centerline Polaris' w/ 35x16.5x12.5" BFg Mud T/A's.
Automemter Ultralite boost and FP guages mounted in a Dual A pillar pod
JBA Headers w/ MagnaFlow stainless catback.

359rwhp & 412rwtq

Next is an air-air charge cooler from a PSD

Old 10-03-2000, 03:13 AM
Question

N2BOOST: so is the Vortech done already?
I thought it was still going to be a while..
Also, do the headers help? How's the low
end? I was told that with whipplecharger,
those free flowing headers were not
recommended because you loose a lot of
charge.

Also, how far for the intercooler?

Thanks! BTW, is there an email I can reach
you at? thanks again

Old 10-03-2000, 03:20 AM
N2BOOST: oh yeah, if interested here's my
setup: 99 F250 SuperCab ShortBed 4x4 V10
4" lift with dual 3" Fox Racing shocks w/ Reservior all around, same tires as you,
BBK/Edelbrock throttle body, K&N, (super chip
currently taken off), dual stainless 3" cat
back with, like yours, Magnflow mufflers,
4.56 gears

was pretty much set for whipplecharger (still
am, but will consider others) and really
wanted to get the Gale Bank headers but then
like i mentioned, was told not to if getting
the whipplecharger (by kenne bell themselves)

Old 10-03-2000, 02:18 PM
The system should be ready for purchase by the end of Nov. So to answer your question, it's not exactly done yet. I can assure you that the system currently on my truck is the exact same as what will be offered to the public. The low end power is actually quite admirable. With the 35's my truck doesn't have any problem lighting up tires. The midrange and top end pull is incredible. Especially when you kick it down to pass. The headers helped out quite a bit throughout the entire rpm range. I would venture to say that since the Whipplecharger's main selling point is its low end performance, they discourage the use of aftermarket high flow headers because the headers would mask the total performance gain of the blower by itself. Also remember the boost as you read it on the gauge is only a measure of restriction in the motor and exhaust and the installation of headers would net you a lower gauge reading due to the increase in effeciency of the motor. The lower reading is usually interpreted as lower performance even though that is not the case. A motor that is 100% stock with stock exhaust and 8psi of boost will produce less total power than the same motor with good high flow exhaust and say only 6.5-7psi of boost.
As for the charge cooler....we're going to fiddle around with an air/air unit first since it is such an easy bolt in application. We are just going to use the PSD one that comes factory equipped. We will then back to back it with one of our infamous air/water units just so we can confirm our theories on air/water being far superior to air/air. Even in a non-drag race application. Either way the are performance gains to be had.
How do you like your combo w/ the 4.56's? I ordered mine w/ the 4.30's in anticipation of running the 35's. Overall I am very pleased but I'm curious as what your opinions are with the same basic combo. Whose gears did you install and how much did it cost you? Take care.
Ricky B

P.S. my e-mail should be listed but if it is not you can reach me @ rbest@vortechsuperchargers.com

Quick Reply: V10 vs PowerStroke