F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Borla header install

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Borla header install

Thanks to Uncle Sam(tax refund) I was finally able to purchase a set of Borla headers. I installed them myself on Saturday the 24th. The kit comes with just about everything you'll need. I was surprised that it did not include directions! I did have a copy of Banks directions so I used them as a guideline.

Start by removing the air filter housing. This will give you great access to the driver's side manifold and EGR tube. Remove the passenger side tire and wheel well liner. It is kinda tricky to remove but it will come out. Ford uses several plastic rivets which will prolly get ruined on removal so you may need to buy new ones. I also removed the vacuum canister which sits on the liner just for more room. You really don't need to remove the driver's side wheel liner. Next, disconect the O2 sensors. This is kinda a pain. They are up high on the back of the block. Push down on the tab while you pull. Took a while to figure that out! Then remove the stock crossover pipe. You'll need to remove the O2 sensors at some point. I wasn't able to get one of mine out so be careful. The manifolds are next. If you have EGR then disconnect the tube from the manifold by loosening the top nut on the tube. My manifold nuts were tight as heck, the ones located in hard to reach areas were a pain. Some of the nuts came off while some stayed and the stud came out. Either way, you'll have to remove all the studs. They are easy. You'll need to remove the other part of the EGR fitting from the driver's manifold. Unbolt the dip stick and remove it from the engine. Make sure there is an O ring on the end. Put a little anti-seize on the EGR fitting and on all the header bolts. Make sure the exhaust ports are clean and install the EGR fitting onto the Borla header. Install the O2 sensors into the headers in the original locations. (right bank, and left bank) Use some anti seize here too. Begin installing the headers. Once the driver's side is done, reinstall the dip stick tube. You may need to loosen the EGR tube at the engine to get it to line up. Manuver the new crossover pipe into place and bolt it in. Reassemble the fender and air cleaner. The best tools for the header bolts are a 7/16 wrench and a 7/16 socket on a little 1/4 inch ratchet. Start to finish, including lunch and a trip to get another O2 sensor, took 8 hours. You could prolly do it in 6.

I was impressed with the sound the headers make. It's a nice deep sound with a slight rumble. A lot different than the quietness of the stock system. I've driven them for a week now. The truck does seem to pull harder now on acceleration, at least it sounds like it does. Gas mileage has dropped by 1/2 gallon or so. I'm guessing it's a heavy right foot and the computer is still adjusting. I'd give the fit and finish an A, installation a C, performance a B, fuel economy a C(for now) and an A for the added "cool" factor. The only problems I had was the stuck O2 sensor and the power steering hose was way to close to the header and needed moved. Try the link below for pics.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...962&a=11913717

Quick Reply: Borla header install