F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

battery light on, volt guage maxed out

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2001, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy battery light on, volt guage maxed out

I've been haveing intermittant problem with the battery light just flashing on briefly. Well today, it came on and stayed on. The volt guage pegged it's self past 18V. The power windows aslo quit working while this was happining. Luckyly I was only a mile or two from home. When I got home, I opened the hood and discoverd that one of the covers had blown off the battery. Prolly boiling from extream overcharging. I hosed off the areas that got acid on them. After about 8 hours, I check the truck again. With the key on, not running the volt guage was in the normal range. I got brave and started the truck. All was OK again. No battery light, volt guage normal.

I know I need to get this in the shop ASAP. What I was wondering is 1) As long as this doesn't happen again, do you think I could drive the 20 miles to the Ford dealer? 2) Do you think it's possible to disconect all the wires to the altenator and drive it that way the 20 miles? I know in the old days you could get by without the alt. for short distances, the battery supplying all the power. Thanks for any help!

Old 03-10-2001, 09:49 PM
Call your dealer and ask them if its safe to drive. If the answer is NO, then then I bet that Ford would pick up the towing costs if your still under warranty..
They should also replace anything that was damaged in the process.

I see we visit all the same boards as I've see your question about 3 other places as well..

------------------
Y2K F250 XLT SC 4x2 5.4L 5sp 4.10LS

Old 03-11-2001, 11:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check all the wires on the engine. Don't give them the opportunity to blame the header install. Then call the roadside assistance people and have your truck towed (flat-bedded) into the shop. No reason to risk injury to yourself or make things worse.

R Bess-
Yeah, there aren't but a couple of good sites & we're all over 'em.

Old 03-11-2001, 03:29 PM
I am out of factory warranty. I have an aftermarket extended warranty that should cover this problem. I just need a safe and cheep way to get it to the shop. Heck, in the old days I'd just tke the belt off and drive it on in. LOL.. Thanks for your responses!

Old 03-11-2001, 11:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I'd go with R Bess' suggestion & call the dealership. No sense in doing more damage if you don't have to.

Be sure to keep us informed of how the repair is going.

Quick Reply: battery light on, volt guage maxed out