F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Adding a few mods, is it safe??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a few mods, is it safe??

This week I will be adding a superchips tuner and an afe stage one air box to my 2000 powerstroke. My question is will it be safe to run in the 80 hp mode without the EGT's getting to high? I don't have after market exhaust but I did have my muffler cut out and replaced with pipe. I am hoping to feel a difference in power but don't want to hurt the engine at the same time, thanks...

Steve

Old 12-22-2004, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't run it without a pyrometer and boost guage. If you have any sort of a hot program (NVK, MNM, or PMT series) you will hit the 1250* redline very quickly. Especially if you have the stock downpipe yet. I have a colder program on my 99 (XLE) and I can still hit 1300* with my Edge with a straight pipe. You have a $5000 engine, I think a $300 set of guages is worth keeping it alive. The mods can be safe as long as you have the right instrumentation.

Old 12-22-2004, 09:10 PM
How do I know what series or program i will have with the micro tuner??

Old 12-22-2004, 11:23 PM
The microtuners use a single program and simply modify your PCM in the truck. The catch code numbers I'm refering to is the code that your PCM is using. If you can see it there is a sticker on the door jam that will say what PCM code you have. Otherwise you'll need to pull the PCM (drivers side kick panel). Now in the event that a dealership has reflashed it they SHOULD have put a sticker under the hood somewhere saying they did and what code it has. If you want to find out for sure, you'll have to take it to Ford and have them hook it up to a scanner.

Quick Reply: Adding a few mods, is it safe??