F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Gauge install tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$40 for the plug and harness? Thats kind of steep...I'll run it by my dad, but I doubt he will go for that. Although it looks like it wouldnt be that hard to make them ourselves.

Dad bought the truck new, and Im pretty sure it has stayed the same there in the engine compartment.

Old 12-31-2004, 07:51 PM
I don't know that the AIH circut code actually sets the CEL but just leaves a code in the PCM that can be seen when using a scanner. Its kinda like the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) that you see when you install a tuner. If need be you can build your own harness. 90% of the people who remove the AIH get both more power and mileage. Even if you do the MAP line route I'd still do the plug, but thats just me.

Old 12-31-2004, 09:16 PM
Yeah Im going to try to convince him to go that route anyway.

Will that code be a problem when it comes time for inspection?
Is there a certain type of wire that needs to be used for that harness (mainly, what gauge?)

Would it be possible to find out the pitch and width of that plug? It seems like it wouldnt be that hard to make it ourselves.

Old 01-01-2005, 01:07 PM
No, its not very hard to make the plug yourself if you have a tap and die set. I will try and see what I can dig up (I know I saw a post recently with the specs in it). One thing to note is that the plug needs to be a certain depth and thats going to be the hard part to find. It just needs to be flush with the inside surface of the pipe so it may take some trial and error.

Old 01-01-2005, 05:06 PM
It still seems like it would be cheaper to buy a tap and die set and some medium gauge cable for the harness...

Old 01-01-2005, 07:17 PM
(do this on a warm or hot engine)

When I intalled my get gauge I drilled a small hole so the the end of it would baeley fit then put some lead on the end of it then when it touches the manifold it just melted the I used the clamp so its welded on with the clamp.

Old 01-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Did you push the tip all the way through the manifold?
I thought you were supposed to install it so that the tip of the probe is in the middle of the pipe...

Old 01-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Johngs
Did you push the tip all the way through the manifold?
I thought you were supposed to install it so that the tip of the probe is in the middle of the pipe...
That is correct. The tip should be in the middle of the gas stream.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Where did you guys find tees for going into the MAP line? We looked at AutoZone, Home Depot, and O'Reilly's and none of them have a tee that has the right fittings.

We also could not find a tap kit for 1/8 NPT fittings...so I think we will have to do the clamp because I will be going back to college on Monday.

My dad just decided to remove the manifold, which was not quite as bad as I expected but it was still quite a job and took us a good bit of time.

I think we are going to clamp into the up pipe and then just get enverything run so that whenever my dad can get a tee he ccan finish the boost himself (gonna run the nylon line into the engine bay so its already there).

Quick Reply: Gauge install tips