F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

1997 F350 PSD Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F350 PSD Upgrades

I usually hang my hat in the 2004-5 F150 forum, but I need some advice from the SD pros. My Dad has a 1997 F350 CC, Dually with 7.3L PSD, AT, 8' bed and it has 62K miles. He uses the truck as a daily driver and to pull a 15,000#, 40-foot fifth-wheel trailer. He is looking at doing some upgrades and is primarily interested in improved towing capacity and improved mileage. He won't be putting it on a dyno, running quarter-miles and isn't interested in propane, nitrous etc. He just wants to wake up the motor a little with the towing power/torque and mileage.

One of his diesel mechanics told him to start with a 4" mandrel bent exhaust and then consider a chip. What mod should he consider first? What exhaust, tuner or combo do you recommend?

I get the impression from reading this forum that he will need an EGT if he does a tuner and chip. Is that true, or are EGT gauges only for vehicles that are run at the strip etc?

Old 12-31-2004, 08:04 PM
EGT guages are for any turbo charged truck, especially trucks that tow. A boost guage is also essential as it a trans temp guage if he has an auto. A 4" exhaust is going to help, but since he has a 97 he can't go any larger than a 3"/3.5" down pipe. After that I'd go with a Tymar intake (www.tymarperformance.com). I would then go with either the Edge Evolution programmer or a custom burned chip with tow settings. The chip is nice because you can change settings on the fly, but it costs more ($600) and it can't read DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) like the Evo can. All of these things you can get from Dale Isley at Tymar and save on shipping. For the whole system you're looking at roughly $1100 if you go with a tuner and about $1400 if you use a chip. I would also highly recommend that if he's pulling that heavy on a regular basis get some upgrades to the trans if its an auto.

Old 01-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks powerstroke, that is exactly the kind of info we were looking for.

I have a few more ?'s though:

-Is 3 or 3.5" exhaust the only option? or is there any benefit to doing 4" exhaust after the downpipe?

-Are the gauges and exhaust system upgrade something that decent shade-tree mechanics can do at home or does this require a professional install? I saw the gauge thread and it sounds complicated but not impossible.

-The Tymar website seems to be down or in development. Did they have an older site or other web address? I am gonna send Dale an email.

-He is probably leaning towards the Evo programmer vs. a custom burned chip (saves $$$ etc).

-What kind of tranny upgrade? I have read about the guys in the L forum doing an FTVB, but not sure if that is what you mean. The fifth-wheel is a camper/trailer and he is moving it from PA to TX to WY to WA to ???? every 4-6 months. He doesn't tow EVERY day, but wants to have the towing capacity/capability when he needs it.

Thanks for your responses.

Old 01-01-2005, 08:34 PM
The 97s only have enough room to fit a 3" dp but Dale has one that expands to 3.5" just after the seam in the firewall. From the DP back you would run a 4" exhaust.

Guages are something that can be done in the driveway, but you're right is is a little complicated, but nothing too in depth. The thermocoupler for the EGT guage is the hardest.

Tymar's website is all that you see and thats all it has ever been. Dale prefers to talk to people over the phone or at least in emails. This assures that he can get the best parts combo to each person.

As for the transmission issue it would be at least a FTVB. You need something that mechanically increases line pressure to help firm up and speed up the shifts. Also I would think about switching to an upgraded torque converter as the stock ones aren't all that strong. Aside from that make sure he's keeping an eye on the transmission temps with a guage and make sure its got a large enough trans cooler. The colder the temps when towing the longer its going to last.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks powerstroke.

I sent Dale an email and I'll post some results when my Dad decides to do the mods. I think he is convinced and we'll try it in the next 2-3 months.

wattman1

Quick Reply: 1997 F350 PSD Upgrades