F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Advice on Engine Choice

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Engine Choice

Hello all,

We're looking for some advice on the "right" engine for an 01-04 Excursion.

This will be the wife's car and will go about 5 - 10 miles per day. We will also use to haul a 20 foot ski boat a couple of times a year. We also tend to hold our vehicles for 10+ years.

Our local ford dealer said that we'd kill a diesel with the short trips, the 5.4 had all kinds of problems (as did the 7.3 diesels) so go with the v-10.

So, we're looking at the 5.4 and v-10. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:52 PM
The dealer was right, short trips will kill it. A 20' ski boat doesn't weigh much...go with the V-10.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you can put up with the fuel costs until something happens ...my advice is go with the diesel...theres no other option in my mind...if you want to tow you'll have more raw tourque than your used to...say "bye bye" to the opposition...zap!

Old 01-18-2005, 10:46 PM
after rereading your orig post...the dealer is nuts and so is yysenhimer...you WONT kill a diesel....jeesh....keep the feul system clean and you should go 200-300k WITH NO PROBLEMS...(other than regular maintence)...zap!...'comon now.....be SERIOUS!!!!

Last edited by zapster; 01-18-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:59 PM
zapster

You need to do some research on diesel engines.

ihilani

You need a gas engine if your only driving that many miles.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:09 AM
no you dont

Old 01-19-2005, 12:40 AM
My rules of thumb:

If you put over 20,000 miles a year on the vehicle get the diesel. You'll get your money back in mileage saving in a few years.

If you drive way under 20,000 miles a year, get the gas engine. At that rate it will take almost ten years to get your money back.

The other reason to get a diesel is if you tow heavy and often. Say over 9000lbs once or twice a month. The V10 will handle the weight but the diesel does it alot more efficiently with less wear on the transmission.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The V10 is a great engine. Alot of diesel fans can make it sound weak but I can assure you, it's not! When I first test drove a V10 I was amazed at how well it accelerated all the way through the rpm range. The torque curve is very flat-the 2000 to 2004 versions make at least 94% (or 400lb-ft) of their peak torque from 1900rpm all the way up to 4200rpm.

Thats why it pulls and accelerates so well at a wide rpm range. I'd get a diesel if I needed one but I really like the V10. For the money it's hard to beat. Mine's been perfectly trouble free at 31,000 miles. About 6K of that is towing miles with trailers up to 6500lbs. No oil burning, starts the first turn in sub-zero temps and is very quiet.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:36 AM
Hello all,

Thanks for the input. I didn't hear anything about the 5.4l option. Is this not a good choice for an Excursion size rig?

Seems like most of the used Excursions have the 5.4l. Is this an idication of less than satisfactory results or just that most were made with 5.4?

thanks

ihilani

Old 01-19-2005, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Hillhound
If you put over 20,000 miles a year on the vehicle get the diesel. You'll get your money back in mileage saving in a few years.

If you drive way under 20,000 miles a year, get the gas engine. At that rate it will take almost ten years to get your money back.

The other reason to get a diesel is if you tow heavy and often. Say over 9000lbs once or twice a month. The V10 will handle the weight but the diesel does it alot more efficiently with less wear on the transmission.

BINGO............talk about hitting the nail on the head.

I went from a 4.6L in my F150 to my 99 PSD. I love my PSD, but to be honest I miss just being able to jump in the truck and go in cold weather. The diesel requires alot more maintenance than a gas which drives the cost of ownership way up. It now costs me alot more per mile on my F250 than it did on my F150. That being said, I knew that going into this and I wanted the diesel anyhow.

I've learned the diesel is not for everybody, and given what you've said I would look strongly at a gas engine, unless you are planning on running 20k+ mi each year (you don't say). If you look at new the new 3V V10s are supposed to be VERY good powerwise and fuel wise. As for the 5.4L you're looking at pulling around an 8000-9000lb truck with and engine that people think is sized about right for a half ton. There have been numerous arguments over the years since the SD came out as to wether the 5.4L is a good engine for anything other than the F150. The debate has never been settled. The only way to find out is drive one and see if it fits your taste. Some think they feel doggy, others say they pull fine. Most people with the V10 use the argument that the V10 and the 5.4L get the same mileage and the V10 costs $600 more.

Old 01-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by zapster
after rereading your orig post...the dealer is nuts and so is yysenhimer...you WONT kill a diesel....jeesh....keep the feul system clean and you should go 200-300k WITH NO PROBLEMS...(other than regular maintence)...zap!...'comon now.....be SERIOUS!!!!
LOL. Of course, short trips that don't allow the engine to get up to operating temperature are bad for gassers as well. The fuel contamination in the oil and carbon build up are the major issues. As you all had said, diesels require much more maintenance...keep the oil clean. There are theories of unburnt fuel coating cyllinder walls creating future sealing problems, etc.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Yep Hillhound has it right. My last one was a 2001 Dually 4x4x4 door LB PSD. I couldn't justify the added cost since I was only putting on about 10K miles a year. Changing 4 gallons of oil, messing with filters and the smell and stink and cost of diesel just made me offload it. I did like the way it pulled 7K pounds like it was nothing but I sold the RV too. THe V-10 likes gas 11.5mpg but when you look at fuel costs with under 10K miles a year it isn't even worth thinking about going diesel or 5.4. If you are going 4x4 get the V-10..if not hte 5.4 maybe a better choice.

Quick Reply: Advice on Engine Choice