F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Dual exhausts/Chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Dual exhausts/Chip

Does anyone know where I can find a good price for either of the following:
1. Dual exhausts for a 2001 F-250 SuperDuty (I wanna hear that V-10 purrrrr, baby!!!)
2. A chip for horsepower increase

Any help would be appreciated.

------------------

Old 02-20-2001, 01:42 PM
Thumbs up

The chips are sold here on this board. Check in the Computer Chips section and/or send an e-mail to Mike Troyer (you'll find his info in the same section) You could post a topic in the chips section to find out exactly what the Superchip will do for that V10

for mufflers check out the engine section or aftermarket section. My last truck I went to Meinkie (not sure if I spelled that right???) and had a high performance Flowmaster cat-back put on. I had stainless pipes added and they did all the bending right there to fit.

I just noticed that was your first post here, Welcome!!! Take some time and do some reading here. Lots of good stuff in the older sections too.

------------------
2k F250 CC SWB 6 speed 4x2 Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, rear privacy glass
TT Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards, mud flaps
265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd, rechargable MagLite
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate, quick disconnect jumper cables
unaFORDable (decal on tailgate) Western Diesel Turbo Brake (whoa boy)
Finally gauges!!: Pyrometer & Boost on the A-Pillar mount

[This message has been edited by Tina (edited 02-20-2001).]

Old 02-20-2001, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Maximus,

Welcome to F-150 Online!

Great screen name, does that come from the movie?

We offer the Superchip for those Super Duty V-10's, which will add 10%-12% more horsepower, and if it's an automatic, it will also clean up the shift characteristics very nicely as well. We have an online ordering system right here that you can access just by clicking on the link just below in our signature line.

With regards to exhaust systems, there are numerous ways to go, but I would suggest calling Roger Lemere, who runs the F-150 Online Store, as they carry numerous brands. You can reach him at 916-361-2510. With these late-model trucks, the factory exhaust systems have changed dramatically over the past few years or so, and going with "true duals" will cause a loss in low-end torque, even though you will pick up higher-rpm horsepower, so you need to be very careful; most aftermarket cat-back systems these days are actually single in nature, for proper flow engineering.

If you want to go true duals, you will need to re-do the entire system, and use smaller diameter tubing than stock throughout, along with a good balancing tube, to prevent a loss of torque at lower rpms and on part-throttle, where you spend most of your time. Most aftermarket systems are single (and many of them are configured to look like duals from the back of the vehicle), and have a little bit larger diamter size, but if you go with true duals, you'll need to re-do it all and downsize the tubing. If you want to go over all the details of this & why it happens, etc., please just feel free to give us a call, and we'll go over that with you. I know that on any "V" motor the natural tendency is to want to go duals, and done *correctly*, that is the best way to go, but flow engineering is everything these days with the way the factory now makes their stock exhaust systems (which is greatly improved nowadays), and it takes good flow engineering to actually increase power everywhere. It's easy to get more higher-rpm horsepower, anything you do to open up the exhaust just about will achieve that; but it's what happens to *torque* and overall driveability that really determines how happy you'll be with the results overall.

Best of luck, whatever you decide!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 02-21-2001, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the info on the superchip. If I were to order this chip, would I be able to install it myself? I assume directions would be included with the chip as to where it was to be placed?

And the name "Maximus" did indeed come from that outstanding movie which is the name I have given to my F-250 metallic gold V-10 4X4 310hp gladiator, as I stand in awe of its raw power (which I'd like to see improved, of course, by the purchase of the superchip). I will therefore have produced a sequel to my truck called, what else, Maximus II.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Superchips_Distributor:
Hi Maximus,

Welcome to F-150 Online!

Great screen name, does that come from the movie?

We offer the Superchip for those Super Duty V-10's, which will add 10%-12% more horsepower, and if it's an automatic, it will also clean up the shift characteristics very nicely as well. We have an online ordering system right here that you can access just by clicking on the link just below in our signature line.

With regards to exhaust systems, there are numerous ways to go, but I would suggest calling Roger Lemere, who runs the F-150 Online Store, as they carry numerous brands. You can reach him at 916-361-2510. With these late-model trucks, the factory exhaust systems have changed dramatically over the past few years or so, and going with "true duals" will cause a loss in low-end torque, even though you will pick up higher-rpm horsepower, so you need to be very careful; most aftermarket cat-back systems these days are actually single in nature, for proper flow engineering.

If you want to go true duals, you will need to re-do the entire system, and use smaller diameter tubing than stock throughout, along with a good balancing tube, to prevent a loss of torque at lower rpms and on part-throttle, where you spend most of your time. Most aftermarket systems are single (and many of them are configured to look like duals from the back of the vehicle), and have a little bit larger diamter size, but if you go with true duals, you'll need to re-do it all and downsize the tubing. If you want to go over all the details of this & why it happens, etc., please just feel free to give us a call, and we'll go over that with you. I know that on any "V" motor the natural tendency is to want to go duals, and done *correctly*, that is the best way to go, but flow engineering is everything these days with the way the factory now makes their stock exhaust systems (which is greatly improved nowadays), and it takes good flow engineering to actually increase power everywhere. It's easy to get more higher-rpm horsepower, anything you do to open up the exhaust just about will achieve that; but it's what happens to *torque* and overall driveability that really determines how happy you'll be with the results overall.

Best of luck, whatever you decide!

</font>

Old 02-21-2001, 08:12 AM
Tina,

Thank you so much for taking the time to welcome me to the site and for providing the info you did. I am indeed new to the site, hence the reason for not knowing all this information could be found herein.

How's everybody out there taking the news of Mr. Earnhardt? It's sure bringing up a lot of safety talk for the NASCAR circuit, not that I'm a big fan or anything. I was never into racing but it sucks when you hear that somebody died performing any sport.

Thanks again.

Maximus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tina:
The chips are sold here on this board. Check in the Computer Chips section and/or send an e-mail to Mike Troyer (you'll find his info in the same section) You could post a topic in the chips section to find out exactly what the Superchip will do for that V10

for mufflers check out the engine section or aftermarket section. My last truck I went to Meinkie (not sure if I spelled that right???) and had a high performance Flowmaster cat-back put on. I had stainless pipes added and they did all the bending right there to fit.

I just noticed that was your first post here, Welcome!!! Take some time and do some reading here. Lots of good stuff in the older sections too.

</font>

Old 02-21-2001, 09:05 AM
Unhappy

I live in a nascar town. We have city buses painted up like Jeff Gordons car. Just about everyone is wearing black. One of the funeral homes had a service for Dale E. yesterday. You couldn't get near the place.

Two hints: unless you're actually using some part of what someone said, don't put the intire post of someone else in your post. and please work up a signature so we can envision the famous "Maximus"!!

about installing the chip: YES you can do it!!! It's actually quite easy, provided you follow the instructions that Mike sends with the chip. If you do some reading in the chip section, you'll find that most people's problems stem from not cleaning the computer contacts enough. An easy enough fix but very frustrating when it's happening to you. Do spend some time reading in the chip section.
There's not many of us SuperDuty people here, thanks for being another one!!!

Old 02-21-2001, 09:13 AM
Cool

Thanks for the advice Okay, I'm helpless here or something. How do I make my signature?

Old 02-21-2001, 01:40 PM
Thumbs up

Up at the top where it says "profile" click on it and just follow it. You should also check out preferances (spelling is not my strong point)

Old 02-21-2001, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Maximus,

Very cool name for your truck, thanks for sharing that with us. I had to get that movie on DVD right away. I normally don't like sad endings in movies, as life itself is tough enough, but what an epic this one was & is, we'll be watching it many more times!

Yes, as Tina has mentioned (she so helpful to everyone here), you can install the Superchip yourself (98% of our customers install it themselves), and yes, complete installation instructions are included. And of course we're just a phone call away should you have a question.

A metallic gold V-10 Gladiator, excellent! I'm sure it's a beautiful truck.

To make yourself a signature line like most of us use here, you need to go edit your "profile". There is a link at the top of your screen when you go to post, it's in the upper right side of your screen that will say "profile" on it, I think. If it doesn't, just let your mouse cursor hover over the various buttons (icons) in the upper right portion of your screen until you find the one that comes up and says something like "edit profile", etc. Click on that, and then you will see your complete F-150 Online profile, and towards the bottom, you will see a section that allows you to put text in a text box, and that is what comprises your signature line. Only you can make or alter your own profile, that is all controlled via your user name & password. Pretty easy once you know where to go and how to get there to do it.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 02-22-2001, 01:32 PM
Do the superchips help at all with the horrible gas mileage I seem to be getting currently? My truck only has 1,300 miles on it though, so maybe it's just not broken in yet.

Old 03-16-2001, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Maximus,

Sorry, I didn't see that last post of yours.

The Superchip *might* help your gas mileage a bit, the exact mechanism behind this is that it's just a by-product of the increased spark advance used on part-throttle in the Superchip's performance program for premium gas, so your results will really depend on 2 primary factors: how the vehicle is operated, and the energy content of the fuel being used.

The Superchip of course requires premium gasoline, and we recommend using the best quality gas available in your area for best results. Tracking your mileage every time you fill up, and using the fuel that gives you the best mileage, is one of the ways to determine just which fuels are best in your area, and it's about the best method we layman have to determine the relative energy content of our local fuels. In most areas of the country (there are always exceptions), Texaco, Amoco & Citgo are our favorites, in that order, as they tend to do a pretty good job, and there are of course other brands that can do well too. You'll generally want to stay away from BP (high sulphur content), Exxon (clean but low energy), and any "no-name" or "off-brand" fuels, as they will have lower energy contents and not as good detergent additives, etc., so your performance & mileage is not as good. We suggest using 3-5 tanks of each brand when you evaluate each brand, it takes a few tanks to get a good feel for what each brand delivers.

It will take anywhere form 4000 to as many as 8000 miles for your new engine to fully loosen up, make it's rated power & get it's best gas mileage, so you could see further improvements as you accumulate miles.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 03-19-2001, 09:55 PM
maximus,
Go to www.mbrp.com I had my V-10 exhaust done by them and it was the best sounding V-10 I've ever heard. Just plain bad *** dual exhaust. And it actually helped on my gas mileage believe it or not

Quick Reply: Dual exhausts/Chip