F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

truck purchase dilema.. could you please help me out...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question truck purchase dilema.. could you please help me out...

Hey guys,
I am considering buying a newer Ford F-series truck, and would like your input from regarding which model I should get. If given a choice, what would you rather have, a '97 - '99 (light duty) F250 with the 5.4 L Triton V8, or a '97 - '00 F150 with the same Triton 5.4L V8?? I am considering a 4x4, extended cab, short box combination of either model. They are very similar trucks, so with the exception of towing and payload capacity, are there any other reasons that one is better than the other? It seems that for some reason, in my area, F-150s with the same mileage and options as F-250s are higher priced, and I can't figure out what accounts for the difference.

Or do you recommend something else altogether?? Size is a concern for me, both length and height, so I am holding off getting the F350.

Any light you could shed on this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc "1HOT5L"

www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select792.htm

Old 04-27-2001, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

What will you be using the truck for???
If you can find the light duty F250 (which looks like the F150) for cheaper than the F150's then I would get it.
And I'm guessing that when you say you don't want the bigger F350 that you're really not talking about compairing it to the SD F250, because they are the same size.

------------------
2k F250 CC SWB 6 speed 4x2 Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, rear privacy glass
TT Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards, mud flaps
265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd, rechargable MagLite
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate, quick disconnect jumper cables
unaFORDable (decal on tailgate) Western Diesel Turbo Brake (whoa boy)
Finally gauges!!: Pyrometer & Boost on the A-Pillar mount

Old 04-27-2001, 09:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the site!

If you want an '00 (or newer), you can still get the LD F250... it's now an F150 with the 7700 lb payload option.

Specs for each truck show the F250 having stronger drivetrain and suspension components- thus it's higher tow/haul ratings. Ride is probably close in each truck. If you plan on adding a lot of aftermarket stuff (especially tires & wheels) take note that there aren't a lot of options for the LD F250 because of its 7 lug wheels.

Finally, "demand" accounts for "pricing". Many people just don't want an F250. This may be due to some misconception about ride/comfort or, some areas have higher registration fees for heavy-duty vehicles.

Good luck in your search. My advice is to pick one that YOU like.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2001 4x4 F350 SD XLT CrewCab LWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, HD Suspension Pkg, 3.73LS, TT mirrors, 6-disc CD changer, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, GoRhino nerf bars.
NoMo's site

Quick Reply: truck purchase dilema.. could you please help me out...