F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Newbie looking advice......

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2001, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy am I confused!!
So I am serious about buying a PSD,right?
and was checking out the diesel BB, then things progress to going to www.ford-diesel.com - I find on the site a link to this url http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1436949&f=0
So I am checking things out on this photo album (specifically the tricked out F-350) and I notice a propane tank!!
Because the topic of this particular threaded discussion is ..newbies.. I would like to know ... what the hell is the purpose,etc of the propane tank? Silly question? You be the judge :P

thanky,
SmegZ :Þ

Old 04-21-2001, 03:28 PM
Appologies in advance for posting so much to this threaded discussion - hehehehehe...

OK everybody.... here is your chance
please tell me EXACTLY what products (in your opinion) do I need to buy (pre or post market) for a 2001 F250 4x4 XLT Diesel Extended Cab.... including pro's and cons of stuff you have purchased, etc....

Your opinions and time is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much and have a great day!
-SmegZ

Old 04-21-2001, 05:33 PM
Lightbulb

Hey SmegZ

Yep, see what ya mean. Went from your getting a deal on truck to propane. WOW!

What happened.

Try diesel bd. or that Ford-diesel.com

Good luck. OT

Old 04-21-2001, 09:24 PM
Hello, Londonblueback.

Welcome.

There are as many reasons for buying these things as there are people buying them.

It seems that they are owned by penny-pinchers and those with more money than brains.

I hope I get the kind of service out of mine as you did with yours.

[This message has been edited by Y2K 7700 4x4 (edited 04-21-2001).]

Old 04-21-2001, 10:19 PM
Thumbs up

Just to let everyone know.. I have NO $$ atm, I am a poor student who is dreaming about dumping my rather minute 1995 honda civic ex (yeek!) If it was up to me, I would probably go with LondonBlueBack and buy myself a nice, inexpensive, used F250. But the fact of the matter is that I am not really mechanically enclined (not that that would/should stop me) nor do I live in an area at the moment that allows for me to do anything to an automobile (hint:apt complex).
So I am stuck with the reality that gas prices should be hitting $2/gal and the fact that I worked my butt off for the past 27 months to get through my 2nd career change. (what does this have to do with F250's? - well influences the Diesel factor for one....)
Well I guess I feel that I deserve one coz I always wanted one Why the hell not? I mean, a souped up 4x4 F150 costs almost as much as a nicely equipped F250 (eg. look at the F150 Lightning SVT).
Anyways, my point is that I wanted to acknowledge LondonBlueBack's comments about expenses.

Moving right along I found this awesome link about the propane injector - http://www.ford-diesel.com/contents/...0Propane%20Kit - kewl stuff! It's amazing what kind of stuff I am finding and didn't know.....

I guess I should make clear my request from my previous posting.... Just wanted to get some ideas as to what everyone has done to their F250's (obviously not all have 2001 models - duh). Any advice would be greatly appreciated....and experiences shared are also of benefit...again...thanks for your time.

Take er ez,
-SmegZ

[This message has been edited by SmegZ (edited 04-21-2001).]

Old 04-22-2001, 07:50 AM
Thumbs up

Smegz: a few of us NC stroker people met up a few weeks ago in Raleigh. One of the guys, did have propane on his truck. From what I could understand, you still run on diesel but you have propane assist. He said he really likes it, better fuel milage. (but since it wasn't something I was interested in adding to my truck, I didn't pay that much attention to it) I did pay more attention to the 5" chrome exhaust pipe coming out the back end. Looked big enough to stick your whole foot in!!! Plus he'd changed out the muffler to something that was more like a glasspack. Now that sounded cool. You can check out my signature in my first post on this topic (I try not to post my sig after the first time in any topic) Even though I've had the problems with my dealer, I would still have a chip in my truck. The difference in running a chip vs no chip is HUGE!!! Over on the diesel board, you'll learn about LOTS of different chips for the powerstroke. I prefer the Superchip. (and if you ever have any problems, Mike T will stand behind it)
You said you're not mechanically inclined, but it sounds like you can learn. The diesel board will help you out with anything that comes up. From oil changing to finding the best place to buy your filters from. I learned out to change out my fuel filters (a REALLY easy job). Ford wanted more than $80 and I did it for $15. Oil changes can be expensive too, seeing as you're adding 14-15 quarts of diesel oil. This is a must learn, do-it-yourself job. And after you figure out the secret of the oil filter (you have to really tighten them on for them not to leak) then you've got it. Getting them back off is simple too. Take a screwdriver (long one) and jab through it. This allows the hot oil to drain out the filter and then you use the screwdriver handle to turn the filter off. (after you remove a full filter and discover how hot and heavy it is, you'll see why letting it drain first is a good idea) I've got 21k miles on my 2k and the only maintence has been oil changes, fuel filter @ 15k miles, and coolent additive. Personally, I think it's been a rather low maintence truck. I do keep fuel additive in the back incase I pump in some bad diesel. Havent yet, but you never know what you'll get when your traveling. So if you can get over the original price of the diesel engine, maintaining it isn't so bad. Just make sure you do maintain it. I do have oil analysis done every oil change. This is over kill, but considered by me to be usefull.

Old 04-23-2001, 10:36 AM
An answer to your question about the propane tank. My dad and I farm and have a tractor with a propane injector. We used it whenever we were plowing and it really jacks up the power. Last year I was out in a tough hilly field and the tractor was pulling hard. It was just after sunset and I hit the button to turn on the injector. The tractor practically stood up and a nice blue/red flame came from the exhaust stack. Very sweet. Adds a ton of power and torque. You do have to be careful though because they can overheat or overfuel if you run too much in. Someday when I get my F-250 PSD Im gonna run an injector along with some sweet pipes and a Banks exhaust brake. Cant wait...just gotta get out of college.

Old 04-24-2001, 01:00 AM
Smegz, I know where you are coming from on the financial side of things. I am 27 and I am self employed. I design websites, broadcast media etc... I do well but sometimes I don't have as much business as I want.

I decided on a specific truck. I was trying to decide if I wanted to go with a F-250 or and F-350. Well, the 350s are nice, but just too darn big. I decided that I don't need a diesel or a V-10, the 5.4l should do me just fine. On that note, I am going to get a 2001 F-250 Crewcab 4x4 5.4l automatic. Color is still up in the air between Tor. Red or True Blue. I priced them out and the exact model I want will probably run me about $28,950. I plan on taking the money I make off a site I am designing and using it as a downpayment. By putting down $6500, that will significantly drop my monthly payments by $130, so it should be in the range of $390 a month for 60 months. Not bad for a $30,000 vehicle in my book.

As far as after market add-ons, I will be adding ventshades, bug deflector, hard tonno cover, K&N Airfilter, carpet bedliner and larger tires for the stock rims. With these added, I will have the perfect truck in my book.

I don't use trucks for their "usual" purpose. I don't haul on a daily basis, don't tow anything more than a 28' sailboat which doesn't weigh as much as you might think. The boat will be docked at a pier on the Chesapeake so I won't be hauling it often. The real reason I love trucks is because of ride height, the safe feeling riding in one, and all the extra "goodies" you can add to them. They don't ride like cars, but I don't expect them too. I take extremely good care of any vehicle I own. When spending that much money on a vehicle, I wouldn't expect one not to take good care of it.

Good luck Smegz on your purchase whenever you decide to get it. I hopefully will have my new F-250 within a few weeks or so, but I still haven't found exactly the one I want so I may have to have it built. If you get one, let me know so we can compare deals to see how we made out.

Cya later

Oh, BTW, where abouts in Pa do you live Smegz? I was born in Latrobe (Rolling Rock Beer) and lived in Cranberry which isn't far from Pittsburgh.

[This message has been edited by BigOne (edited 04-24-2001).]

Old 04-24-2001, 07:34 PM
Thumbs up

A Big Thanks!!to Tina, JBCalander, & BigOne for the replies :]
Really, thanks to all for any and all the input I have recieved over the past few weeks :]

I gotta tell ya BigOne, if you can get a 2001 crewcab for that cheap - man!!! You are getting hooked up (from what i have found)
question is.... is it XL,XLT or Lariat?

It's really funny... I have the same feelings about trucks BigOne; I always wanted one - and know that I am starting my second career (THANK GOD!) I can "afford it" (heheh - I only owe $75K in school loans, have to save $25K for a wedding,etc) ...bills are fun, no? :P

Although I have already stated in a previous posting that I have settled on a model, I am stuck between the crewcab and extended cab..reason being that I want to save $$ but still want to think about the future (kids,etc)...

Otherwise I want to get Diesel Automatic (for durability), 4x4, Black exterior(only way to go baby), and stripped audio system (cause i am gonna do some mods with that).

I have been doing some talking with a friend of mine who owns a cummins 6 on his dodge and absolutely loves his baby....that and the info i have gathered has sold me on the diesel...not to mention the fact that i can get some cheap diesel accross the river (NJ) at a truck stop.

Tina - thanks so much for sharing information; it's nice to find such helpful people on the web :]
I think you got me sold on the CHIP - I just need to do some more research (HRMMM..think I should TEST DRIVE A PS before I BUY?? - sheesh! - hehehe)
So whats the deal with the exhaust piping you were talking about? Increase HP ?? Just curious....

JBCalendar - thanks for your comments and maybe someday I will be joining you with the propane injector ... however it seems more hassle/hazard than helpful... or maybe i need to do more research... i dont know..

BigOne - sounds like a sweet deal with the down payment... I think I will end up plopping down $10k to shave down my payments... please keep me posted on your purchase as well!! (BTW - I dont have anything to haul except my fat butt! Atleast you are planning on using it to haul! I just figured if the F250 costs as much as a F150(the body style i dont like -pardon me all F150 fans), why not get the F250?

I am currently using this motivation (F250) to get me through my certification exam ATM... and am hoping to buy one in the near future....
I live near DE actually, formally from Philly.. but now kinda out in the boonies, and am enjoying it What part of IL you from buddy? I love Chicago in the summer... so much fun and the weather is great!

Thanks again to everyone who is sharing info, and have a great day!
Take care,
-SmegZ

Old 04-25-2001, 09:02 AM
Thumbs up

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SmegZ:

Although I have already stated in a previous posting that I have settled on a model, I am stuck between the crewcab and extended cab..

Get the Crew Cab!!! You just wont believe how much more room you have!! Wheather it's for kids or just extra junk.

Otherwise I want to get Diesel Automatic (for durability), 4x4, Black exterior(only way to go baby), and stripped audio system So whats the deal with the exhaust piping you were talking about? Increase HP ?? Just curious....

Actually, the SD manual is more durable than the automatic!!! I've not got 4x4. I just try to stay out of situations where I would need it. Sometimes I wish I had it when we go to back the trailer into certain wet mushy spots. The speakers in any of the F-series trucks are crap. Changing them out for some good Memphis components was one of the first things I did. Black paint on a truck is just about the prettiest color but it's only pretty for about 5 minutes then it's dirty again And the exhaust was an upgrade because he'd added the propane. It sure looked "cool". You can check www.ford-diesel.com for ideas on which exhaust to go with if you decide to change yours.

(BTW - I dont have anything to haul except my fat butt! Atleast you are planning on using it to haul!

I bought my truck just to "haul" me & the kids around town. Plus to get grocerys. Bought the travel trailer after I got the truck.

I just figured if the F250 costs as much as a F150(the body style i dont like -pardon me all F150 fans), why not get the F250?

And have you checked out the prices on the SuperCrew, ouch!! Stick with the SuperDuty, rugged, pulls more and way more room in the cab. (does ride more like a truck though, than the SCrew does)

Good luck!!

[This message has been edited by Tina (edited 04-25-2001).]

Old 04-26-2001, 09:53 AM
BD
Red face

Smegz; Sounds like you have thought this whole thing through real well! I'm with Tina - get the crew! And black is awesome; when it is brand new and clean! Best of luck - I am with you on the F150 styling - and the bed space(?) on the Screw!! Anyway SD is the only way to go. We didn't go with the desiel; $ & noise were factors for us at this point.

Best of luck - keep us appraised

Good luck again

------------------
'00 F250XLT 4x4CrewCab V106.8L Auto 156
Island Blue/Silver
[*]Off-Rd Package[*]3.73LS [*]Hvy Serv.Susp.[*]Tow pkg/Class IV hitch[*]DrawTight Activator II Trailer Brake[*]cloth split bench [*]power seats[*]rear slider/privacy glass [*]Ford clearance lights[*]Line-X bedliner[*]Leer Canopy

coming soon: K&N filter

Old 04-26-2001, 08:18 PM
ya know.....it's kinda funny...
it seems that this little discussion has gotten the biggest response in the little F-250 section on this website :]

Keep sharing and thanks for everyone's input :]

have a great day,
-SmegZ

Old 05-01-2001, 02:28 AM
Hey Smegz,

Sorry I didn't reply for a while...I've been frequenting the chat lately and haven't been reading the posts.

Anyways, I live in the NW burbs of Chicago but me and the wife are moving to Virginia Beach in less than a month.

ARGGHHH! Well, I have finally decided on what to get...I know I said a F-250, but since I am spending the money, what the hell. I am gonna go with a F-350. So here is exactly what I am gonna get...2001 F-350 Crewcab, longbed, V10 with the camper package, automatic, True Blue with slate gray int. etc... I priced this one out and still will be able to keep the payments below $500 with the money I will put down.

I am not going to get it though until we get moved down to Va Beach. For one thing, it would kill me on the mileage.

My biggest reason for the super duties was the height of the darn things...the model I want sits 81.3 inches high which is just about 6'8" WOW

Heheh,

talk to you later.

Old 05-01-2001, 09:15 AM
Thumbs up

BigOne: sounds like a great choice. If I'd known what all I know about the differences between the F250 and the F350 when I ordered my truck, I would have gotten the F350 too. Good luck on your move. Hey, I know that some time around July, we're haveing the F150 meet in Norfolk. Will you have your truck by then??? We pulled our trailer up there last year and camped. All the rest of the F150 crowd had to stay at a motel. We had a blast and even got a bunch of the guys to come back to our camp site and sit around and shoot the breeze one night. Anyways it sure would be nice for me not to be the only SuperDuty truck there

------------------
2k F250 CC SWB 6 speed 4x2 Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, rear privacy glass
TT Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards, mud flaps
265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd, rechargable MagLite
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5x7 rear, 10"sub
SuperChip, Stepshields, Ventshields on windows, rubber bed mat
rugged liner bedliner on tailgate, quick disconnect jumper cables
unaFORDable (decal on tailgate) Western Diesel Turbo Brake (whoa boy)
Finally gauges!!: Pyrometer & Boost on the A-Pillar mount

Old 05-01-2001, 01:13 PM
Tina,

Yes, I should have it by July. In fact, I hope to have some of the add ons also by that time. Mainly larger tires and a hard tonno cover. I would love to go to the meeting, sounds like fun. I want to pull the 350 up next to those lil 150s heheh...see it dwarf em.

Uh oh...I just thought about something, if I can't find it at a dealer, I may have to have it built. Which might not be in time for the meeting. Darn, I forgot about that. I will most likely have to have an 2002 built. Guess I better get cracking on this so I can have it in time.

Where at in Norfolk is the meeting going to take place? (lol...sounds like a shady question...)

Quick Reply: Newbie looking advice......