F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

problem with my F-250, hose hanging loose

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem with my F-250, hose hanging loose

Hi,

I have 2004 F-250 Supercab XLT, short bed. I was trying to wash the undercarriage Today and found this hose hanging loose from driver's side rear end. Could someone tell me what this hose is for and where it should be mounted? I don't think it should be hanging loose like that. Don't like to go to the dealer so please help me out. Thank you.

Josh

Old 01-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a vent so your rear axle seals don't explode when the oil gets hot. The loose end is typically secured up on the frame or underside of the bed somewhere. Looks like it may have been knocked loose by the spare tire or perhaps when the shocks were changed. If the clip is broken, just use a zip tie to secure it up out of the way somewhere. The only reason it's up high is to keep water from getting in the axle if you go through deep water.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Thank you for the quick reply. I am much relieved knowing that it isn't something serious. Do I need to seal the end of the hose with some sort of a tape, or do I just mount it as high as I can without sealing the hose end?

Old 01-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't plug off the end. It's a vent, it needs to breathe. Otherwise pressure can build up inside the axle when the fluid gets hot and it will blow out the weakest point. It is located up high to keep it away from water and mud. It's on a flexible tube so it can move as the axle moves up and down.

I just went out and looked at mine and it is routed up into a hole in the bed subframe crossmember directly above the axle.

Last edited by RockyJSquirrel; 01-26-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:53 PM
just wondering where I should mount this. I will probably use ziptie as you said.

Quick Reply: problem with my F-250, hose hanging loose