F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Rear end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear end clunk

I have an 04 F250SC/SC 6.0L and whenever I put the truck in reverse, back up, then put it in drive, I get a very noticable clunk and lurching from the rear end. I have taken it to the dealer twice, and they said it was normal. Does anybody know of any TSB(s) that might cover this.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Are you sure its coming from your rear axle? There is a TSB on the 5R110 for the reverse circut. Otherwise if you have a LS rear diff then it could be the clutchs. You may try a different dealership, but make sure they visually inspect them and check for the proper level of friction modifier.

Old 02-05-2005, 03:39 AM
same problem

When i brought mine in for its first oil change, i mentioned a clunk coming from the rear when i put it in drive from park or reverse from park. they said they would look at it. well 13 days later they "fixed it".

they said initially that they had to replace the clutch pad/pack (?) in the ring and pinion. whatever. 3 days later they called back saying that it wasnt the clutch pad/pack but a tranny recall issue. something about planetary gears or whatever. there was a post about it somewhere on this board. anyways, they called about 9 days later and said that they opened up the tranny and it was a mess. they did a complete rebuild on it. 13 days total in the shop. they did give me a free rental--a focus!!

at least they did something about it and didnt try to bs me.

so far it has not made that clunk but we will see.

Old 02-05-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the rear end because when it does make the clunk, the entire rear end seems to shudder and you can feel it in your seat.

Quick Reply: Rear end clunk