F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Wanted to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanted to Buy

I searched the classifieds but did not see any newer F-250's for sale. I am looking for a good work truck. 1998- 2001 F-250 diesel. You can call or email
845-494-9266
salty600x@aol.com

thank you.

Old 03-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try e-bay you can get anything there!...zap!

Old 03-13-2005, 04:18 PM
I looked through ebay. I am not familiar with diesels. Is 150k miles alot for a diesel? I see alot of F250 pwr stoke diesels in there for about 11-13,000 that are 99's

figured I would look here, I know you guys are really into your trucks. :thumbsup

Old 03-13-2005, 05:09 PM
a diesel will last forever with the right maintenence..400k-500k is not unusual...big rigs will go a million miles before a rebuild...i have one and i love it!...zap!

Old 03-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Zap, Thanks for the help. I found a nice on on ebay in Arizona but the guy say's it has a slight miss and blows some black smoke at startup. Is there anything I should really watch out for before I purchase a used Diesel? It will definietly have less than 150K miles on it for me to buy one.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:14 PM
its probably a bad glow plug or something minor..all a diesel needs to run is fuel and compression along with clean air ...they are the *****!..i'm a first time diesel owner and there is no comparison to a gas engine...have the seller check the codes and report back...zap!

Old 03-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by zapster
its probably a bad glow plug or something minor..all a diesel needs to run is fuel and compression along with clean air ...they are the *****!..i'm a first time diesel owner and there is no comparison to a gas engine...have the seller check the codes and report back...zap!

Not likely given the symptoms that he just listed. A bad glowplug will not result in black smoke. It will result in harder starting, more white smoke at startup, and a slight miss until warmed up. If its blowing black smoke and a miss while running then its got other issues. Specifically I'd look at bad injector(s) and possibly loose boots on the intercooler or piping. If its got loose boots then you would have to have the compression checked as it may have pulled in some dirt and ruined the rings. A good running engine should blow little to NO smoke while running and should not have any miss or surge to it while running, provided its a stock engine. From the sounds of it this one has been used hard, I'd look somewhere else. This is also NOT a very good site for finding trucks like this. The site is F150online thus it caters to more of the 1/2 ton crowd. You will find a MUCH better selection at www.thedieselstop.com. Just browse through their classifieds section and you'll see quite a few trucks like you're looking for. Just don't make a post on the boards about what you're looking for as it will most likely get deleted pretty quickly there (very strict moderation).

Old 03-14-2005, 02:13 PM
thanks guys, I appreciate your help..

I have to clarify something. The ad states that it has a slight miss until it warms up and does not specify color of smoke!

Old 03-14-2005, 08:27 PM
White smoke is somewhat normal after startup in colder climates. Black smoke on a stock truck would make me suspect something is wrong. Blue smoke is burnt oil and I'd run away fast. One thing I would try and do given what you mentioned is have a mechanic inspect the truck and the glowplugs. I would also try and pull an oil sample and send it to blackstone to have it analyzed. This will tell you better than anything how the engine is doing (provided the oil hasn't been recently changed). You will also want to have the brakes and ball joints thoroughly inspected as they fail regularly on SD trucks. I just got done putting on new rotors, pads, calipers, and slide pins on the front of my truck to the tune of $600 and the rotors have warped again. Alot of people on TDS have had this problem so make sure you check out that area of the truck.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Try Woodhouse Ford

They have a ton of new and used ford 4x4's. When I bought my 2005 F250 4x4 Crewcab a month ago, they had 236 new models to choose from with that configuration. I checked and they have a ton of used F250 4x4's of the years you are looking for in their inventory.

Last edited by Photogman; 03-14-2005 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Wanted to Buy