F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Is PSD Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is PSD Ford?

I get into arguments with my brother-in-law on whether or not it is ford or it is international/navistar because on his dad's 94 PSD it has international stickers on the passanger side. But from what I know is that ford has ownd international for 11 years now. And what I was wondering was does anyone have info on if this is true. Also are there any ford markings on the engine itself on like the later 7.3 and new 6.0. One more thing is someone told me that duramax is the diesal division of isuzu which GM owns. If that can be confermed I will tear him up over it.

Please give me some evidence of paricularly about the PSD.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:33 PM
The PSD is made by Navistar and is NOT owned in any way by Ford. They simply buy their engines from Navistar. Navistar also builds their own version of the 7.3L with all the restrictions Ford builds into them removed. Some parts of the engine may have the Ford design cast into them, but they are few and far between.

The Duramax is not a division, but simply an engine made by Isuzu. I can't answer to if Isuzu is owned by GM or not. As of right now none of the big 3 make their own diesel anymore. The closest might be GM and Isuzu, but the engine is not made directly by GM.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford doesn't own International, but International/Navistar make the PSDs for Ford through an exclusive contract...The diesel engine plant is just across town from the SD truck plant...
Also, GM does own some interest in Isuzu, I don't know if they own the controlling interest or not, but you are right, the Duramax is an Isuzu diesel...

Old 03-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Unhappy

thanks guys for the info.

It sucks that I can't really rub it in on him about the PSD. But at least I can go to town on him about the duramax. Would any of you have rock hard proof about the duramax, because he is one of these people that just don't listen till it is what he wants to hear and if I can throw some real proof at him it will shut him up.
I couldn't find anything on the isuzu site for starters unless one of you all can. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:04 PM
Old 03-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Talking

Thanks. Those sites helped.

I don't think that they own the controling share of isuzu because if they would have by now made the whole line of isuzu look like every other vehicle company that they have bought.

Old 03-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Ggg
Take a look at a Duramax engine. Several parts have the Isuzu logo on them.

Trending Topics

Old 03-26-2005, 11:36 AM
When Isuzu developed the Duramax, GM had a large stake (20-30%) and it was considered a co-venture.

Isuzu has restructured so now GM has less than 10% stake. AT this point its more like they are an engine supplier than a division of the General.

Quick Reply: Is PSD Ford?