F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Ford 7.3 PSD oil pan leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford 7.3 PSD oil pan leak

Okay, recently I was involved with a 2002 E-350 PSD that developed an oil leak at the front of the oil pan around 16,000 miles. This vehilce was taken to a dealership to have this fixed under warrenty.

This is where is gets interesting. The dealership wouldn't do the work under warrenty because they say the leak is due to a dirty air filter. The dirty air filter caused a buildup of vacuum in the crank case, sucking the sealant into the oil pan.

Now, I will admit that I am not a professional mechanic, but I have done quite a bit of work on vehicles and understand how engines, both diesel and gas, operate. I have thought over this air filter / gasket theory time and time again and have yet to come up with a relationship between the two and the fact that is is a turbo charged engine just make this theory even more unlikely. I image if the air filter was as dirty as it needs to be to cause this, the engine would not run at all.

What do you think of this?

Old 03-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think there full of crap...mine leaked the day i bought it (used) from a ford dealer...they had just put a new pan on it it was leaking front and rear when i got back from the test drive...they must remove the engine to do the job...its no fun...but they did it again because they had to...if its under warrenty tell them no excuses...its not because of a bad air filter...the crankcases ARE ventilated...zap!

Quick Reply: Ford 7.3 PSD oil pan leak