F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

04 Powerstroke vs Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 96-98 GT's will run high 14- low 15's but the 99-04 GT's will run low 14's with a 5sp and a so so driver and even better with someone who can launch. The 05's are even quicker with the 3 valve config. Not sure where you’re getting your generic 14-15 time slips from unless you have been to the track with them and I have, you should post what you know and not what you have heard. I've owned a 98 GT and currently have an 01 GT and the difference is night and day. The L will still take both in a straight line with solid mid 13's all day long and I’ll still take my 01 GT or the L against any PSD. Actually we are talking apples and oranges since the PSD is set up for towing and weighs a few tons.

No comparison when it comes to towing but I’m not sure it has the gearing to see mid 13’s since most redline at a little over 2k. Find a RPM calculator and figure your tire size, gearing, and your top speed and calulate that into a 1/4 mile.

My L will shift into overdrive at 125 and pull the same as it did from 0-125, pinning you to the back of the seat for the entire ride until you decide you’ve had enough. I’ve driven a 02 Banks PSD, 98 GT, 01 GT, 00 L and now a 05 V10. The PSD doesn’t stand up to the GT’s or L at all.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:21 AM
"you should post what you know and not what you have heard"

And where did you get that PSD's redline at 2000? Sounds like you need to take your own advice.

And as I said, I know the '05s are rally fast as you can see if you re-read my post. The guy never specified a specefic year Mustang or anything so I'm simply making the point that just because it's a GT Mustang doesn't mean it's fast.

And yes, I'm at the track about every 3 weeks or so.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:34 PM
My 03 PSD shifts at 3800

Old 03-31-2005, 10:38 PM
My 05 will run run 9.0's in th 1/8 and it pulls gust as hard all the way to it shuts off. We have alot of PSD around that go to the track and run on the street. They will hand a stock GT's A$$ to it.

I have a lightnig that has some mild mods on it. It will kill the PSD off the line and it is all over. But if you are running about 50 mph and hit both of them the PSD will stand its own to mid 90's.

Just look out for all the Diesel no matter what make.
I have a friend that has a dodge that will take most all GT's and about 1/2 the lightings. It has about 7 thousand $$$ under the hood. It looks, sounds, & drives like it is stock to it leaves the line and all 4 tires make this funny sound that will make you look twice. It goes from sounding stock to sounding like a F16 as the twin turbos spool up and biuld boost.

Just look out they will fool you!!!!

Go to WWW.TSPERFORMANCE.COM and check out the dodge that they run.

Last edited by $umtoy; 03-31-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:02 AM
Ggg
It really doesn't matter, 15, 14, 13 second quarter mile times you are still racing for second place (aka the first looser). Sure there are cars that are faster, but they are nowhere near the weight of these. Maddoges truck weighs about #7800, now thats one heck of a handicap to overcome. Never take what you read in magazines as fact. They are in business to make money, to do this they sell ads in the magazines. Advertisers pay big money for full page ads, you really do not think they will bad mouth a big name advertiser like Banks do you. Heck no that would be like cutting their own throat.
Here are the four fastest (street legal) Pro Street diesels in the country, not a single Banks product on either of them. (Dodge/Cummins)TS Performance's Derrick Borders ran 10.964 @ 123.06 MPH.(Ford/Cummins) Richard Madsen of Maddog Racing ran 10.59 @ 130 MPH and (Dodge/Cummins) Joe Hellman of Corpus Christi, TX, ran a 10.86 @ 130. (Ford/PSD) David Lott ran 11.74 @ 115.31

I will try my best to get a link to their respective web sites. I can't find vids of the exact runs but these are still good.
WWW.TSPERFORMANCE.COM
David Lott http://www.dieselinnovations.com/
Joe Hellman http://www.princeperformancediesels.com/11.99sec.avi
Maddog
http://www.princeperformancediesels.com/F350Run.wmv

Last edited by Ggg; 04-01-2005 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Actually, there's a faster one now. Somebody showed me the Edge Dodge race truck a couple of days ago (he found it on a camaro/firebird forum?). It ran a 9.77 at 133 and the driver said he let off and just maintained rpm's after the 1/8th. I'll post a link if that's allowed here. Nice looking truck too.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by elmo
"you should post what you know and not what you have heard"

And where did you get that PSD's redline at 2000? Sounds like you need to take your own advice.
The 7.3 PSD that I drove had all the banks bells and whisltes. It had a 2400 or 2600 redline(can't remember exactly) and if you even got close to it, it started to fall off like you hit a wall. The boost was set up in the 20 something pound range#.

Maddoges truck weighs about #7800, now thats one heck of a handicap to overcome.
The weight issues isn't an issue. Saying you have more to overcome goes out the window as soon as you start comparing two dramatically different vehicles.

Here are the four fastest (street legal) Pro Street diesels in the country, not a single Banks product on either of them. (Dodge/Cummins)TS Performance's Derrick Borders ran 10.964 @ 123.06 MPH.(Ford/Cummins) Richard Madsen of Maddog Racing ran 10.59 @ 130 MPH and (Dodge/Cummins) Joe Hellman of Corpus Christi, TX, ran a 10.86 @ 130. (Ford/PSD) David Lott ran 11.74 @ 115.31
How much do they have in these vehicles? $100k easy I would estimate

Old 04-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Anyways, I don't see a Lightning having much of a problem beating a Bank's equipped truck, especially if you did anything to the Lightning.

What year truck was it that you drove? Maybe it's just an older model or something. The redline on my '02 and my '99 are both around 3400 and neither of them feel like you're hitting a wall when you reach them, much less get close to them. Was the truck set up for something specific?

Old 04-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by SVTPWR
The 7.3 PSD that I drove had all the banks bells and whisltes. It had a 2400 or 2600 redline(can't remember exactly) and if you even got close to it, it started to fall off like you hit a wall. The boost was set up in the 20 something pound range#.

The weight issues isn't an issue. Saying you have more to overcome goes out the window as soon as you start comparing two dramatically different vehicles.

How much do they have in these vehicles? $100k easy I would estimate

I can gaurantee that the PSD you drove didn't have a 2400 redline. No PSD truck has ever had a redline that low. The PSD since its intro in late 94 has always liked to run up close to 3000 rpms. Heck the PSD is getting into its peak hp band at about 2000-2500 rpm. Redline on my 99 SD is 3300 and thats the same for the 94.5-97 and the 99-03 7.3L. The 6.0L I'm not sure about, but if anything that would be higher since its a very high reving engine. If it fell off above the rpm you listed then there was something wrong with it. Every truck I've driven pulls harder at that rpm and doesn't fall off much until you cross 3100 rpm. Most likely the truck was calling for more oil that the hpop could deliver thus no more fuel. This is typically a problem with a hot chip and a stock fuel and oil system.

The weight issue I agree with to a point, but its still almost 4 tons that needs to get moving from a dead stop.

As for how much these guys have invested in their trucks, its not cheap, but definetly not 100k. David Lott has around 25-30k I think in the engine and trans. He's got more in the truck in the axles though I know. Its more like 1/3 of what you're thinking. The Edge truck might be close, but thats a full on funny car style drag truck. Maddog might be close to 50k with what he's got wrapped up in his current Piers built diesel.

Old 04-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Ggg
[i]The weight issues isn't an issue. Saying you have more to overcome goes out the window as soon as you start comparing two dramatically different vehicles.

How much do they have in these vehicles? $100k easy I would estimate [/B]
Yes I agree the weight comment was not intended as an excuse. 11 second 1/4 mi is quick in any car/truck. But it says a lot about what these trucks are dong, and how well built they are. Also when comparing dramatically different vehicles not only does any weight excuse go out the window so does any limitation on price. Like the old saying goes "how fast do you want to go? Well how much do you have to spend."
elmo thanks I forgot about the Edge truck since it is rather new. There are also a few Duramaxes that are very quick but I can't find them right now. I also think the Edge truck is not street legal or if it is it is meerly a shell of what it was from the factory.
I also agree any lightning should not have a problem racing against a Banks equipped diesel.

Last edited by Ggg; 04-01-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:47 AM
There is a guy i graduated with that has a '02 or '01 GMC Durmax that is worked...has propane injection, new gears, its been bores(not sure how much),and has a 6'' lift with nice 35x12.5 A/T and pulls a low 13 sec qt. mile. Not to mention it is a work truck too.

Quick Reply: 04 Powerstroke vs Lightning