F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

04 Powerstroke vs Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Powerstroke vs Lightning

Hi All. I have nothing against Powerstrokes but have been challenged by one here in N.M. He has the Banks Power setup exhaust I dont think he has messed with the turbo yet.. We would do a 1/4 mile race at a track of course no street racing He has an 8 inch lift and huge freakin tires does anyone have a clue on what He would run at Sea level???
All help is appreciated
Struck

Old 03-28-2005, 09:11 PM
If all hes got is Banks stuff he's not making all that much power over stock. Also unless he's regeared for larger tires he's gonna hurt there too. My money would be on the lightning in this case. Now if he had a real chip in there and had stock suspension and tires my money would be on him.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks Powerstroke 73 I dont think he has been regeared either like the Truck just dont like the Guy Im fully modded also so Im thinking there shouldn't be a problem but he wont shut up about being faster than a Lightning with his new banks system.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Ggg
I'll second what powerstroke73 said.
BTW what does your Lightning run in the 1/4 mile?

Old 03-29-2005, 08:46 AM
13.1 at 5500 feet above sea level..

Old 03-29-2005, 06:32 PM
HAHAHAHAHA........nope he's not gonna hang with you with just Banks stuff on the truck. He's probably looking at a 14-15 sec run. If he was to run a good custom programmed chip he would be closer, but I highly doubt he'd even get into the low 13s. I know for the 7.3L trucks it takes ALOT of aftermarket stuff to get those times (the 6.0L can run a little better, but its still gonna take alot of stuff).

Old 03-29-2005, 07:32 PM
WHATS WRONG WITH BANKS...Unless your lightning can outrun a mustang GT id say hed win...in about 3 magazines ive seen a powerstroke with just the banks tuner, one with the banks big hoss, and one with banks power pack, the one with just the tuner beat a auto GT, the one with the Big hoss beat a manual GT with some ( not heavy mods) and the powerpack beat a GT convertable with a manual...so it depends on if u can outrun a GT...My freind has a 2005 6.0l crew with 40 inch swampers and a banks big hoss and he beats the ***** out of ricers and camaros and GTs hes also tinkerd with the turbo a little but still BANKS is good stuff...maybe not the most powerful but its safe and reliable...dont count on his tranny blowin in the middle of the race because with banks it wont happen but with anouther chip 9 time out of 10 it will... Good Luck with the race tho...tell us who wins!

Trending Topics

Old 03-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by LB51
WHATS WRONG WITH BANKS...Unless your lightning can outrun a mustang GT id say hed win...in about 3 magazines ive seen a powerstroke with just the banks tuner, one with the banks big hoss, and one with banks power pack, the one with just the tuner beat a auto GT, the one with the Big hoss beat a manual GT with some ( not heavy mods) and the powerpack beat a GT convertable with a manual...so it depends on if u can outrun a GT...My freind has a 2005 6.0l crew with 40 inch swampers and a banks big hoss and he beats the ***** out of ricers and camaros and GTs hes also tinkerd with the turbo a little but still BANKS is good stuff...maybe not the most powerful but its safe and reliable...dont count on his tranny blowin in the middle of the race because with banks it wont happen but with anouther chip 9 time out of 10 it will... Good Luck with the race tho...tell us who wins!

If you had done much research at all you'd see how much better stuff out there there is than Banks for much less money. I guarantee you that if you run Jody Tiptons 140hp burn custom tuned to the truck you won't ever want to have Banks stuff again. I've talked with people who have complained of ****ty mileage, blown trannys, truck just not running right, etc with Banks. I can look up almost any manufacturer and find at least one really good horror story to tell you. I do think Banks makes good stuff, I just don't feel like paying double the price for the power you get.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Well bad news....His Truck was stolen yesterday so I guess for now no race..unless he's lying to get an azz woopin lol..

P.S. I hand the GT's **** to them by at least 7-10 lengths

Old 03-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by powerstroke73
I guarantee you that if you run Jody Tiptons 140hp burn custom tuned to the truck you won't ever want to have Banks stuff again.
Do you know if he does SCT or some other kind of flash tuner? I really don't want to go the chip route after having issues in the past with the Lightning chip. Is there a website I can look at?

Old 03-30-2005, 12:54 PM
with all the rebates and stuff, you can basically take off $10,000-8,000 of the sticker price...

Old 03-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Where I race my TA I have seen several 250 and 350's run 12 to 13's I was amazed first time I saw it to huge cloud of smoke. They put them in 4 wheel high and fly!! But they have them loaded down with goodies!

Old 03-30-2005, 07:17 PM
I don't know if the SCT will accept anyones programing or not. I was under the impression that they have to be superchips programs, which negates going to Jody. He seems to have a better understanding of the programming on these trucks than alot of others I've seen. I've heard rumors of a box similar to the SCT that will be available, but will accept anyones programs. Last I heard Diesel Innovations was working on trying to sell them. If you go that route you might want to talk to David and then upload Jodys programs into it.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:35 PM
I've got a 00 Lightning and an 01 GT 5sp. In a straight line the L will hand a GT it's ***, period. Raced a 01 Z28 SS at Carlsbad and took him almost all the way to the finish before he caught my L and it was 100% stock as was his SS. With my shi**y 60 ft times, I still could pull off mid 13's stock in 80-90 deg weather. The PSD doesn't have a chance IMO.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:21 PM
Mustangs aren't all that fast when you're comparing to modded vehicles. They only run about a low 15 to high 14 (except the '05s of course). My friend's Lightning runs about a 13.7 and beats the crap out of Mustangs all the time.

Also, I have a '99 with Banks exhaust, gauges, K&N FIPK, and Big Hoss chip set on level 3 (80hp). Spent about $3200 on it all including installation.

I have on '02 with Magnaflow exhaust, Autometer gauges, AFE Stage II intake, and a Diesel Innovations 4 position chip (stock, 40, 70, and 110). Spent $2400 on it all including installation.

My '02 set on the 40hp level will beat the crap out of my '99.

And by the way, I've beat a couple of Mutang GT's myself, and my friends Lightning walks me pretty good.

Quick Reply: 04 Powerstroke vs Lightning