F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Weird frame question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 03:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird frame question

Looking at purchasing a 1999 F-350 Diesel Crew Cab Dually w/ a single tank. Looking around the underside I noticed something I cannot explain. On the bottom of the frame, about a foot behind the front of the front doors are two holes spaced about 3" apart. This is in front of the two crossmembers under the transmission which each bolt to the side of the frame, not the bottom where these holes are.

I wouldn't have thought anything about it except it appears something used to be there based on the paint. The dirt is consistent, but there's a clear demarkation where something was once bolted to the frame here.

Anyone have any idea what this may have been?

Old 05-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm good one...later when i go out i'll look under my dump truck to see if anything like that is on my frame...zap!

Old 05-15-2005, 08:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Step bars, maybe? Or a bracket for an onboard air compressor? Several possibilities.

Last edited by RockyJSquirrel; 05-15-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:12 PM
well i raised the dump body and had a look...there's NO holes like was explaned in the orig post as a matter of fact there is no holes on the bottom framerails anywhere the factory did not do first..and there's a big red sticker on the back of the cab thet warns"do not drill or weld the frame flanges"so hmmmm.... i dont know...zap!

Old 05-16-2005, 07:47 AM
Zapster, your truck was probably a cab/chasis model correct? If so then it does no good for you to look as the frames reward of the cab are completely different.

As for what would have been there it could have been any kind of aftermarket equipment. Air pump for air bags, bypass filters of some type, running boards, air tank, etc. It could have been anything so your only way to find out for sure is to either find a psycic or call the previous owner(s)

Old 05-16-2005, 06:18 PM
yup it was shipped as a "incomplete viehicle" according to the tag...and it also says you cant make a ambulance out of it either... thanks for the info...zap!

Old 05-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Well, my mechanic knew instantly what it was. It's a rub from the rubber pad on a hoist.

Color me embarrassed for thinking it was something the owner was hiding or something broken or some other complicated something-or-other.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LMFAO! Who'da thunk it?

Quick Reply: Weird frame question