F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Need advice on 2001 F250 Diesel purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on 2001 F250 Diesel purchase

I am considering purchasing a 2001 F250 crew cab 4x4 with the 7.3L diesel. The truck has 62K miles on it. I have not personally looked at the truck (only seen photos) but will be doing so in a few days. It does not have a fifth wheel hitch so it has not towed any large goose neck trailers. It has the Lariat package so it has all the options that I like. Is there anything in particular that I need to look for or be cautious of about this model? This truck does not come with any additional warranties and the dealer is asking $25,000 for the truck. My other option is a truck just like this one but it has 103K miles on it. That dealer is asking $24,500 and is including a 3 year unlimited mileage C.A.R.S. Warranty at that price. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to buy something and then discover some things that I should have looked at prior to the purchase.

Thanks,
SCscrew

Old 05-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
That is a nice amount of miles for that year. Look at all the normal stuff. If it is an auto tranny, it should be due for its second flush. I believe the '01s still had the green coolent that needs to be carefully monitored and additives needed to keep the engine from eating holes through itself, so check for records on that if it hasn't been changed to gold coolent yet.
I think you have a little confusion on towing, in that like my truck this one doen't have a fiver hitch. But mine tows goosenecks all the time. Two different types of hitches and trailers.
Go check it out!!!

Adrianspeeder

Old 05-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Also keep in mind that even though it may have had either a gooseneck or fifth wheel hitch at one time they may have been removed. Check the bed for any holes. A gooseneck will have one large one in the center, a fifth wheel will have many small ones between the wheel wells. You may also see brackets welded or bolted to the frame to hold the fifth wheel hitch. The 2001 model has the mechanical diode in the transmission which has been known for failing and taking out transmissions with shrapnel. Not all of them will do this, but just be aware this year particularly had this problem. On the engine it would be best to send an oil sample (unless its been recently changed) to blackstone labs. I would also suggest checking the air filter box for any cracks. Also pull off the intake hose from the side of the turbo. Check to see if there are any jagged edges on the fins. Also make sure they spin freely.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:53 PM
c.a.r.s. warrantys are a scam .. that company sucks... if you can get them to cover anything under warranty they use junkyard parts.... just becareful

Quick Reply: Need advice on 2001 F250 Diesel purchase