F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

99' F250 powerstroke died and won't restart........

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99' F250 powerstroke died and won't restart........

Ok, this is my dads truck with about 50,000 miles on it. He was comming home from work, which is just across the road, so the engine was fairly cold. He's cruisin down the driveway and it cuts off dead. Now it will not fire back up. It will crank over all day but no fire. Ok, I read some previous posts about the CPS so we went and got one and put it in.....still nothing. You can hear the fuel pump buzzing when you turn on the key and the glowplug function seems to work as it should (of course glowplugs wouldn't cause it to just cut off while running after a bit). Before we get it towed to the dealer, are there any other options of things to check??? ANY help is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 05-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Check the fuses under the dash and under the hood. There are a couple fuses under the dash (I can't remember the number of them now) that when blown won't let the truck fire. Does the wait to start light come on when he turns the key on?

Old 05-30-2005, 04:06 PM
My dad has poked around at most of the fuses with a test light.....didn't find anything. Yes the wait to start comes on for the usual 3-5 seconds and then goes out. It turns over as normal after that, just spins and spins...doesn't spit or sputter or act like it is getting ANY fuel. But I know the fuel pump in the tank is working, cause like I said, you can hear it kick on and then kind of bog down as it builds fuel PSI. He also changed the fuel filter for fear it may be clogged and that wasn't it. It just seems weird cause it was running perfect on the way to the house and he said it just shut off like you turned off the key. When you turn on the ignition key all of the lights come on as normal and the service engine soon light comes on like normal and goes back off. If there were any codes in the system, wouldn't it stay on (key on engine off)?

Old 05-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Matt 05'FX4
He also changed the uel filter for fear it may be clogged and that wasn't it.

Is it actually getting fuel to the bowl? The pump may be running but something may be plugging the line limiting the fuel. Open up the fuel bowl and turn the key on. It should be apparent real quick if its getting sufficient fuel.

Originally Posted by Matt 05'FX4
If there were any codes in the system, wouldn't it stay on (key on engine off)?

Not always. If its a soft code it may not light up again after the key has been cycled. Also not all codes will set the SES light. I would get the codes pulled. You will need something that can read the enhanced codes so the type of readers that they use at places like Autozone won't work. A dealership can pull them easily.

Old 05-30-2005, 09:35 PM
When he pulled the filter out, he turned it on to fill the bowl and he said it filled quickly. I have been wanting to get an Actron code reader/scan tool for some time now for my F150 and this may be the perfect excuse to do it!!!

Quick Reply: 99' F250 powerstroke died and won't restart........