F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Considering an F250 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering an F250 Diesel

Ok, here's the basic deal. Due to the RIDICULOUS prices of gas, and the fact that my dad's now producing biodiesel for himself (and for me if I want it), I'm looking into getting a diesel. I know for a fact that I will not be able to afford a new one, so what I'm planning on doing is one of two things:

a) Pay off the diff. between what I owe on my F150 ($21K or so) and what it's worth ($15K) and trade it in on a good used diesel;

or

b) Trade in my wife's vehicle on a good old used diesel.

Anything I should look for? Tips? Things NOT to get?

Old 08-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love my '99 7.3turbo diesel

if you look at the 7.3's check out the oil pan
yes they rot from the outside in

other than that if you find a low mileage one go for it!

...zap!

Old 08-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Kung
Ok, here's the basic deal. Due to the RIDICULOUS prices of gas, and the fact that my dad's now producing biodiesel for himself (and for me if I want it), I'm looking into getting a diesel. I know for a fact that I will not be able to afford a new one, so what I'm planning on doing is one of two things:

a) Pay off the diff. between what I owe on my F150 ($21K or so) and what it's worth ($15K) and trade it in on a good used diesel;
or
b) Trade in my wife's vehicle on a good old used diesel.
Anything I should look for? Tips? Things NOT to get?
Your F150 probably gets as good if not better milage than a diesel. Your going to be upside down at least $6k on a trade, plus diesel is a lot more expensive than regular gas unless you use your dads stuff, which I'm sure isn't free. Something has to be bought to make anything so there is a cost to make it. If your truck is worth 15k, then you will get a lot less than that in a trade in even further seperating the time it will take to make up the 6k+ you've lost. IF the diesel gets better gas milage than your F150, how many years will it take to offset the extra cost of gas and make up $6000? A very long time! Read the boards about maint on diesels, some on this board put $100+ a month into maint and that is doing it themselves. Much more expensive if you have to take it in for 15 qt oil changes!

Unless you are hauling something that needs the extra capacity or just want a diesel, I'd stay with the F150.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 08-14-2005, 05:50 PM
based on your information, buying a diesel does not make economic sense at this time. Remember, the PSD is a five grand option, and you will probably only realize 15 mpg.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:07 PM
All of this being said, there are also a lot of 'old' (93 - 94) diesels around, with 150 to 200K or so on them, that I could easily sell my wife's vehicle for (which she's agreed to do) and buy the diesel with that money.

So, assuming a diesel costs me $5K...and I use my dad's biodiesel.....now what?

Old 08-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Keep in mind that a 93 or 94 will most likely not be a PSD truck. The PSD didn't come into being until late 94. Before that there was just an IDI diesel. In 93 that engine was a non turbo, and in 94 it could be gotten either with or without a turbo. With those trucks there is little to no performance or anything aftermarket for the most part. The other thing to remember is this was still relatively early on in the PSD life cycle and they were still going through some growing pains with coolant cavitation, which was since addressed with SCAs. If you're looking for a good used diesel I would look more to the 95+ years.

Quick Reply: Considering an F250 Diesel