F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Transmission Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission Trouble

My trouble first started after I bought the truck in early 2000. A seal on my 4R100 tranny blew out causing my trans fluid to go everywhere and the tranny to overheat. The truck was under warranty at the time and the tranny was replaced. At about 98,000mi my front pump seal blew out on my new tranny. I had the seal replaced and at about 110,000mi it started leaking again. It currently is still leaking but at a slow pace. I have to add a quart of trans fluid about once every three weeks. Also, it is embarassing to drive sometimes because after driving at about 60+ MPH for more than 10 minutes and then stoping at a light, smoke poors out from under my truck. The smoke is from the trans fluid leaking on the exhaust cross-over pipe and making smoke. The leak looks like it is coming from where the bell-housing and the motor meet. I don't have the money to get the whole tranny re-sealed but my friends tell me that would be a good investment. If I do get the tranny resealed how much am I looking at spending? Also, would it be wise to buy a bigger trans cooler and a trans temp gauge? What do I do?

Old 09-06-2005, 11:04 PM
If the tranny fluid is coming from the bellhousing area then you're looking at R&R the trans to do it. Its most likely the input shaft or pump seals. The seals themselves are cheap, but the labor is gonna get a little more. I'd say if you were mechanically inclined and had the equipment (tranny jack mostly) do it yourself, but from the sounds of your post that probably wouldn't be a wise idea. It all depends on what the shop is going to charge for an hourly rate. A good shop can have this done in an afternoon for probably a ballpark of $400, but its all going to come down to their labor rate.

If you don't have a trans cooler other than the oil to water cooler then add an oil to air cooler. I also can't believe you have over 100k without a trans cooler. I had one on my truck the day it came home. I lost a trans on my old F150 because I didn't have a guage and it overheated.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:37 AM
If you are leaking on your exhaust, then you should get it fixed ASAP. It can easily catch fire. Don't ask me how I know.

Quick Reply: Transmission Trouble