F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Problems with Tank of Diesel: Pilot in Kannapolis NC Said is Red Dyed Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Direct form the Oil company itself.

SHELL OIL WEB SITE

If you look at the list of products, you will clearly see "High Sulfur Diesel #2"

High Sulfur Diesel No. 2 is a diesel fuel (sulfur content is limited to "no greater than .5%w") that is for use in all off-road heavy-duty diesel application. Businesses involved in logging, construction, mining and other off-road activities typically will have demand for this type of product. This product is not suitable for on-highway applications. This product contains the required level of red dye as mandated by the IRS for tax exemption use.
Its sulfur content is .5% ???? On-Road Diesel #2 is .05% ????

Its not the same stuff.

Thats not my opinion, Thats Shell Oils statement about their product.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Not 6.0L ones, no.

Adrianspeeder

Similar in price to 7.3L injectors. I just wish that HEUI injectors weren't so blasted expensive. $3000 for a set of performance one gets expensive, but so worth it.

Podunk, that article doesn't really say anything new. I never said that some refineries don't make a high sulfur diesel. In the past most of the red dyed diesel was high sulfur, but anymore it COULD be either. Anymore most times at truck stops that do carry red diesel it will be low sulfur. Any of the new ag equipment has the same fuel standards now as the rest of the industry. They don't like high sulfur diesel that much due to the EGR systems now required. Dying diesel is just a way to show its taxation, it has nothing to do with fuel quality or type. All that article says to me is that high sulfur diesel will never be dyed green. It says nothing on what dye (or lack of) they use on low sulfur #2. Find me something from Shell (or preferably Pilot in this case) that says difinitively that all low sulfur diesel is dyed green and all high sulfur (if they even sell it) is dyed red.

Old 11-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Well I think I stand corrected! Even according to the IRS, dyed diesel is high sulphur diesel. They use the terms synonomously and together.

That being said, it's up to the owner to know whether dyed/off-road/high sulphur diesel can be run in their truck. At the same time, a retailer surely cna't by law, sell dyed/off road/high sulphur diesel as regular/low suphur/on road diesel without notifying customers. Seems they could be in deep doo-doo.

So that doesn't help in this case, unless the retailer did have legal obligation to label the fuel as what it was.

This specific issue was also posted by someone else on TDS. A couple others brought up previous dyed diesel/no warranty horror stories.

Hope things work out.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
for what it is worth, Shell stations in the Tampa, FL area in 2004 got a bad batch of gas from some refinery that had high sulfur in it and it was killing people's fuel pumps

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/05/29/Ta...ums_up_f.shtml

there was a class action suit and they ended up paying for repairs

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5172501/

you may have a case here if this is widespread

One thing, they do this sort of thing in canada too, for unleaded and diesel.

Do a search for "purple gas", up there they sell it at regular gas stations, it doesnt do any ill effects, but if they catch you using it you can get a hefty fine

Old 11-22-2005, 05:51 PM
The only difference is the sulfer content. The old off road fuels had a little bit more sulfer as a lubericant and if any thing ran better than todays highway fuel. But most of that has changed and most new ag engines have to be close within the specs of the road engines. The fine is close to 2000 found that out the hard way when some ignorant worker decided to fill my truck up out of the non road tank. paid over 2000 dollars for a 30 gal of diesel. talking about some expensive fuel. But i have to say that the truck ran just as good, and i never had any problems with the injectors or anything.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:24 AM
EVERY ONE HAD GOOD POINTS ON DIESEL FUEL! RED AND #2 ARE VERY MUCH SIMILAR EX. FOR THE SULFER CONT AND CETAIN RATINGS! RED IS NOT AS CLOSELY WATCHED AT #2 BUT JUST TO LET YOU ALL KNOW DIESEL QUALITY IN THE US IS NOT VERY WELL REGULAED RIGHT NOW! YOU MIGHT NOTICE ON THE PUMP HOW THE DONT HAVE MIN CETAIN RATINGS LIKE THEY DO ON GASOLINE MIN OCTAIN RATINGS??? YOU MIGHT NOTICE THAT NEXT TIME YOU GO FILL UP. BUT GOOD NEWS THE U.S. HOPES TO HAVE MIN. RATING STANDERDS BY 2007 AND WE WILL MOST LIKELY SEE MORE DIESEL OPTIONS IN NEWER VEHECLES. ALSO TO LET YOU KNOW THE 6.0L DISEL DOSENT RUN WELL ON AG FUEL THATS BECAUSE ITS SO MUCH MORE DEPENDENT ON COMPUTER CONTROL THEN THE OLDER DISELS OUT THERE! THOSE OLD DOG DIESELS WILL RUN ON JUST ABOUT ANYTHING!!! (FIGURE OF SPECH) BUT THE 6.0L JUST CANT. THE TRUCKS COMPUTER JUST TRYS TOO HARD TO MAKE THAT STUFF RUN!!! LOL

~POWER STROKE DIESEL TECH.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by crazynip
for what it is worth, Shell stations in the Tampa, FL area in 2004 got a bad batch of gas from some refinery that had high sulfur in it and it was killing people's fuel pumps

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/05/29/Ta...ums_up_f.shtml

there was a class action suit and they ended up paying for repairs

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5172501/

you may have a case here if this is widespread

One thing, they do this sort of thing in canada too, for unleaded and diesel.

Do a search for "purple gas", up there they sell it at regular gas stations, it doesnt do any ill effects, but if they catch you using it you can get a hefty fine
I was cut a check for close to $1000 by shell for this.... it wasn't the fuel pumps, but the fuel sender units. On my vehicle, the 2 are one unit as sold by the factory, so they paid for it, and paid me 8 hours labor for the install.

I purchased premium fuel.

Ryan

Old 12-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by wharrell
Well, the dealer disagrees and says that red diesel is different, and hence the warnings on not to use it. In their opinion, it has different sulfur content and is of poorer quality than regular diesel. They will not even cover the EGR valve service under warranty on a 4 month old 6000 mile F250.

If I had just walked in and complained of problems, perhaps that would have worked with me and would agree to have covered some of this work.

But I was honest, and told them about the discovery of the red diesel as being the cause of my problems. Then, the dealer instantly put up a brick wall when they heard I had unknowingly been sold a tank of red diesel that was running in the engine when the problems first surfaced.

See page 29 of the Ford Engine Manual.

Not a good day....
Unfortunately you were honest with the dealer and the dealer honestly stuck it to you, find another dealer.

FM

Quick Reply: Problems with Tank of Diesel: Pilot in Kannapolis NC Said is Red Dyed Diesel