F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

6.0 supercharger.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 supercharger.....

super charger on a 6.0 power stroke? Slam more air in....create more ex gas for the turbo, best of booth worlds....could a supercharger and a turbo work togethier with glow plugs?
In a dohc engine, thier is one belt or timming chain driving booth cams, could you apply this to run the super charger and control the turbo impeller?

just an abstract thought........

Old 11-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Are you familiar with how a turbo even works? It sounds like you're trying to drive a turbo from a belt. What you're asking about is what was used on the old 2 stroke diesel engines years ago. These engines had NO bottom end at all. All of their power and torque was on the top end and that top end was pretty high. A supercharger really isn't going to give you much gain for what it would cost really. It will do nothing to increase exhaust gases. You need fuel for that. The more fuel you inject the more exhaust gases you create, thus the higher the boost. The only benefit of a supercharger is you would be able to create boost right off idle and avoid turbo lag. On a 7.3L this would be of some benefit with a stock turbo, or a VERY large single charger. On a 6.0L Navistar uses a VGT turbo, which is a variable vane turbo. This turbo can electronically change the pitch of the turbo vanes so that turbo lag is very minimal. You also asked about using a supercharger with glowplugs. One would have no effect at all on the other. The glow plugs are used only at startup to heat the air inside the cylinder to help with initial ignition of the fuel. Once you're running they shouldn't be on at all. What you're looking at was a good idea once, but times have since passed it by. With the newer technology out there you can get better setups. For example a properly tuned set of series twins will outperform the setup you were thinking of. The smaller charger helps to provide boost right off idle and lets you burn fuel right away, and that then stages into a large charger that would normally be real laggy. This large charger can move the high volumes of air that a small one can't so it can give enough air to burn the very high amounts of fuel used at WOT. This is a similar setup, but has no parasitic losses inherent to a supercharger setup.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by cyclone vampire
super charger on a 6.0 power stroke? Slam more air in....create more ex gas for the turbo, best of booth worlds....could a supercharger and a turbo work togethier with glow plugs?
In a dohc engine, thier is one belt or timming chain driving booth cams, could you apply this to run the super charger and control the turbo impeller?

just an abstract thought........
WTF????? "Sir, step away from the pipe!!!!"

(ps. You need hotter glow plugs but how you gap them is critical. )

Old 11-13-2005, 01:03 AM
Suspended
yup.. gotta gap those glow plugs in the pipe...and make sure the glow plug bands are tight..... a super charger works of a belt, a turbo is run off ex. gas, I don't beleave I had such a warped idea by thinking the two could work togethier, how ever a twin turbo would basicly do the same thing as stated by powerstroke73...superchargers evolved from world war two fighters/bombers, as well as nitris oxide.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:35 AM
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR TRYING TO TURN YOUR MODERN DIESEL INTO A 1973 OLD SCHOOL SEMI-TRACTOR OR YOU LIKE DIESEL TRACTOR PULLS! LOL YOU MUST HAVE SOME OLD SCHOOL MANTALITY IN YOU I LIKE IT LOL!!!!! THE TRUTH OF THE MATER IS YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO DO THAT TO YOU NEW TRUCK! IM SHURE IT WOULD RUN BUT IT WILL DEFANITLY NOT LAST!!! LOL

~POWER STROKE DIESEL TECH.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by cyclone vampire
yup.. gotta gap those glow plugs in the pipe...and make sure the glow plug bands are tight..... a super charger works of a belt, a turbo is run off ex. gas, I don't beleave I had such a warped idea by thinking the two could work togethier, how ever a twin turbo would basicly do the same thing as stated by powerstroke73...superchargers evolved from world war two fighters/bombers, as well as nitris oxide.
Superchargers were around long before WWII. I think people are WTF'ing you over the part where you were talking timing chain/blower belt in the same breath. True large industrial engines may have used this type set up, it is not practical for us. Again, great thinking if it was in the 40's or 50's, but a modern set up far surpasses this. for atleast thinking outside the box though.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Corn21
SOUNDS LIKE YOUR TRYING TO TURN YOUR MODERN DIESEL INTO A 1973 OLD SCHOOL SEMI-TRACTOR OR YOU LIKE DIESEL TRACTOR PULLS! LOL YOU MUST HAVE SOME OLD SCHOOL MANTALITY IN YOU I LIKE IT LOL!!!!! THE TRUTH OF THE MATER IS YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO DO THAT TO YOU NEW TRUCK! IM SHURE IT WOULD RUN BUT IT WILL DEFANITLY NOT LAST!!! LOL

~POWER STROKE DIESEL TECH.

Aiiiiieeeee.......the caps are.....killing....me.

Well the blowers might be legal in modified or a class similar to that, but thats usually ruled by gas engines. The prostock, superstock, hot farm class, etc can't run them. They're limited to the stock engine and can usually only mess with injection and turbo(s). Don't usually see too many blowers in true diesel tractor pulling. They can't hold a candle to turbos due to their parasitic losses that pullers aren't going to put up with. Its not like the tractors have to spool right off the start. Thats why you see them spool all the turbos up before they start moving.

Old 12-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Seven sixteenths of one inch:
That's the distance you'd have to move your pinky in order to not sound like an idiot. I know the burden of pressing shift to capitalize is a great one, but c'mon.

EDIT: I'm having trouble posting the picture so it will be coming soon

Old 12-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman

EDIT: I'm having trouble posting the picture so it will be coming soon

Old 12-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
LOL, I can't believe I missed this thread! WTF would you supercharge a four stroke turbo diesel for? Just swap out for a better turbo than stock.

Old school Detriot two stroke diesels would have a supercharger in additon to the turbo for the purpose of exhaust scavaging.

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Running a supercharger and turbo are nice for running really large turbos to reduce lag. They call it twincharging.

Since the PSD has an assload of low end torque already, what's the point?

My question is: where the hell would you put it?

Old 12-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by SRockwood
Running a supercharger and turbo are nice for running really large turbos to reduce lag. They call it twincharging.

Nobody does, or has done that for probably 20 years or more. Why would you want to put a superchrager on that will have a constant parasitic draw. TRUE twinned trucks will have a large turbo feeding into a smaller turbo. The small turbo spools quickly and will give boost almost right off idle until you can get the big charger to lite. Superchargers are a gas truck deal and have no place at all on a diesel truck.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
Nobody does, or has done that for probably 20 years or more. Why would you want to put a superchrager on that will have a constant parasitic draw. TRUE twinned trucks will have a large turbo feeding into a smaller turbo. The small turbo spools quickly and will give boost almost right off idle until you can get the big charger to lite. Superchargers are a gas truck deal and have no place at all on a diesel truck.
Those crazy germans are doing it for a new VW I believe, it actually has really great numbers on paper!

Old 01-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Suspended
well.....My uneducated thought was as fellows, A turbo runs of ex. gas to drive air into the intake, a Super charger is driven by a belt of the crank/camshaft...let the supercharger drew in air, more ex. to feed the turbo, I doubt the two can work at the same time, use the supercharger 1st at a lower rpm than allow the turbo to spool up and kick in once the supercharger has exceaded 2000rpm or so.....Maybe twin turbo's can accomplish this on each ex. manifold on a V/8.....Don't know how this will work on a gas engine, compression is much much less than a de. engine...

Quick Reply: 6.0 supercharger.....