F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

a couple important q's from a rook

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a couple important q's from a rook

I just transfered from the f-150 forums to the f-250 forums since I wrecked my 150 and luckily walked away.

Q's for the pros bout 250's
1)How would a straight pipe sound. I like like loud w/the turbo whistle but not all distorted and poppy
2)What additives would you recomed for my diesel for winter and any other stuff.
3)Any intake recomindations
$Any exhaust recomendations(what about a magnaflow stainless XL 4 inch w/ 4 inch tip
4)Any input about the edge power programmers and warnings.

I know you guys know more than any other people about this because I dont. only gas rigs. and any other info or websites for diesel care would be appreciate
thanks,
Max Puryear

Old 12-18-2005, 09:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1. I dunno how it'll sound, but be aware that a straight through exhaust on a 6.0 liter (I'm assuming you got a 6.0; do you?) may set EBP (Exhaust Back Pressure) sensor codes.

2. powerstroke73 or any of the other guys that own one of these things can school you better on additives than I can.

3 and 4. I'm answering these on the basis of dealer service; just be advised that should you have any engine or transmission problems while under warranty related to any modifications, you'll more than likely get shut out in regards to your warranty at your dealer. Ford has pretty explicit instructions stating that aftermarket intake systems and power programmers are a big no-no on diesels. Of course this varies according to your dealer, just be aware.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:45 PM
thanks for the quick reply

Its a 7.3 litre and its no longer under warranty i think. i bought it used with 64,000 miles on it and im the second owner. Would the programmers have a negative effect on it? and how would the magnaflow XL stainless sound. thanks for the reply also. i appreciate it. and i'll be posting pictures soon of the 2 trucks

Old 12-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh, whoops. Then throw out what I said. Someone better versed in diesels than I (paging powerstroke73...) should be along shortly.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:02 PM
or you can check out this forum.
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/

Old 12-19-2005, 10:47 PM
TDS is nice, but you gotta sort through piles of useless crap to find the good info. Kinda gone downhill lately.

Anyways the straightpipe will have a flutter sound to it. Thats just the nature of a turbo V8 diesel. You can put an aeroturbine in the system which will eliminate some of that, plus it will drop your EGTs some. I've got a homebuilt system that I'm changing out for 5" stacks soon. If you're in an area with alot of salt on the roads look at a stainless steel system.

For winter use I would recommend using Powerservice, Standadyne, or some other good diesel fuel conditioner. I run Powerservice in the white bottle (cetane boost and antigel) with every tank year round. If its really cold you can get Powerservice 911 (red bottle I think) which is powerful antigel. I haven't seen it around lately, but its not a bad idea to carry a bottle or two in the truck for emergencies.

I had both an Edge Evolution and the Juice with Attitude. I just recently sold them both and bought a DP-tuner 4 pos chip. That chip on the 80hp mode was more powerful than both Edge boxes stacked in the 110-120hp setting. On top of that I have a 120hp setting which is very strong. Regardless your first mod should be gauges (pyro, boost, and trans if you have an auto). After that 4" turbo back exhaust and free flowing intake. From there you can start adding the power.

If this truck is a 2001-2003 then you have PMRs (powdered metal rods) which are not as strong as the old forged rods. The PMRs will only stand up to about 400rwhp before they leave the block through the side. They will also not hold up well to high cylinder pressures caused by bad chip programming. The old TS chips, especially with fuel 7, were notorious for high cylinder pressures from too much timing. They claim that they're better, but I severely doubt that seeing the way Dennis works. Edge and Superchips are just find, but stay away from Diablo. I'd skip TS completely and go with a DP-tuner.

Quick Reply: a couple important q's from a rook