F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Just installed new Edge Juice Platinum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed new Edge Juice Platinum.

I just installed the edge platinum I got from my wife (my hero) over the holidays. Things I observed on my otherwise 100% stock 03.

1. EGT's seem good (probe on rear drivers exhaust manifold) considering no exhaust or intake.(speed on flat steady state road 10 x speed so 70 mph = 700 - 750)

2. Transmission shifts are flawless with more control features than you can figure out in a week. I also have a modified Lightning and can appreciate a good tranny tune.

3. Boost seems low compared to other tuners (max I've seen is 23 psi registered on attitude monitor). I am at 3000ft elevation and test was done on flat road and empty truck. After checking other inputs online, this seems normal for the platinum. Maybe to combat the puking issue which mine has never done it's whole 40,000 miles.

4. Tire smoke is not instant but I didn't expect to light them up from a dead stop with no other mods. I thought the lag would have been helped more. It will turn them both into 2nd after 1500 rpm but not enough to cause clouds of smoke. I think the exhaust will help with the lag. Looking for any inputs...

5. Exhaust smoke seems no more than stock from what I've seen from the drivers seat.

6. User interface is flawless. I have the attitude monitor mounted in new pod above the mirror. Installation was easy (attitude monitor was more than long enough to reach above mirror). Level changes do seem to happen instantly by observing load% and egt's. When heading up a very long hill I noticed if I bumped up the program level, the load % would go lower, but the egt would rise. To me this says the engine is working easier with a higher heat output.

7. Turbo timer is a good addition also. I have mine set at 350, and it can take a minute or so to shutoff.

Overall, I am very happy. I am sure there is more power that can be added ( I see no need to contact edge for the Hot program code you can get for a 6th level) but added safely is another question. To me, Edge learned from their first Juice release, listened to all inputs, and made one hell of a total package performance system

Last edited by shonut; 12-31-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by shonut
2. Transmission shifts are flawless with more control features than you can figure out in a week. I also have a modified Lightning and can appreciate a good tranny tune.

Better start saving for a new trans right now, cause this one ain't gonna last. The Juice has made quite a reputation for themselves wiping out torque shift transmissions. The new Platinum does NOT have true transmission controls. In order to have that you need direct contact with the PCM which this doesn't have. The only way is to get something that WILL modify the PCM programming like the SCT Xcal2. That will make the trans live at least a little longer, but if you don't do something be prepared for a $4000 repair bill. All the Juice is, is a glorified module that simply tricks the PCM by modifiying signals sent from sensors. I used to have one and was not overly happy with the performance or durability.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Is your experience with the old edge juice or the new platinum? I am aware of issues with the initial edge (reason why I did not purchase one). The new platinum is a different animal with transmission controls. The fact you can dial in defueling between shifts is a plus also (for those concerned with tranny life).

Last edited by shonut; 12-31-2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:39 PM
You could always defuel with the old Juice modules, but like I said, the platinum does NOT have true transmission controls. A true transmission control needs direct contact to the PCM. The Platinum has no such thing. Something like the SCT Xcal does have these things in it. I don't care what Edge says, the platinum just has the illusion of being able to control the trans. At most you'll be able to monitor it. It has connections to PCM #2&3 but it never actually communicates with it. It does just like it always has and thats simply modify signals before it makes it into the PCM. A true control actually changes the parameters of the program itself interally in the PCM. This would be a chip or programmer, NOT a module. No module has true transmission controls. Take a gander over on TDS or TDG and you'll see what I mean. The platinum is a step up from the old standard module, but its still nowhere near in the same league as DP programming or SCT stuff. Then again what I do I know, I only did beta testing for the Juice, ran the Evolution for over a year, and have done work with my DP chip and PCM programming.

Last edited by powerstroke73; 12-31-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:54 PM
I am always up for a good discusion on mods, that's why I post my opinions. My question is have you driven a 6.0 with the new edge platinum? I guess what matters is not if it "controls the tranny", it is how does the tranny shift and how long will it hold. I guess your vast experience (along with others) is it just wont last based on the old edge juice information. I do have experience with high horsepower trucks (12 second Lightning), but I do admit that this is my first diesel. Since this platinum does monitor tranny slip % with defueling protection if detected, Torque Converter lockup control and shift firmness in all gears (I assume by line pressure) based on selectable load percentages or all the time I am looking for where their NEW system is flawed. I have read all about the old edge juice tranny issues. I might be nieve in believing they have solved this with the platinum series. Only time will tell. Fact being, somehow the truck is much faster (although not lightning fast) and shifts beautifully. My opinion plain and simple.

Last edited by shonut; 12-31-2005 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Just installed new Edge Juice Platinum.