F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Super Duty ball joints and u joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Super Duty ball joints and u joints

I need to replace my U joints and ball joints on my 03 F350 4x4 and was wondering what are the best parts I can get. Also should I get greaseable or not? I replaced a rear u joint over the summer and was told by a freind at the local driveshaft shop that non greaseable u joints were the way to go so he sold me a Spicer joint that was not greasable. His explanation was that when you grease a joint and some oozes out of the seals that water and dirt can ooze back in. This seemed to make sense and I wondered if the same was true for ball joints. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks Guys. Bronco Jeff

Old 01-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Do yourself a favor and don't listen to your friend again. Anyone that says a sealed part vs a servicable (greasable) is better does not know what they're talking about. I suppose he's right if you were to grease it and not do it again. Whenever you replace ujoints or ball joints use a greasable one. Working on our farm equipment for over 15 years greaseable ujoints last at least 3x longer. Use a good Spicer joint and Moog ball joints.

Old 01-01-2006, 06:09 PM
I appreciate the input ps73, I questioned that myself. The owner of the driveshaft shop said the same thing about the non greasable being better because the grease just flings out of the joint and is then under lubricated. I wondered why everything on my Peterbilt semi tractor is greaseable and the construction equipment I haul is also covered in grease fittings and they last a long time. I am going to get serviceable ball joints but I am still not sure about the U joints.

Old 01-01-2006, 07:02 PM
The only downside of a ungreaseable ujoint is that you have grease channels running through the trunion. This decreases strength some. For any kind of stock truck this is not an issue. Its when you get up into very high HP stuff doing 40k sled pulling or very hardcore offroading that it comes into play. Greaseable ujoints are better for your application hands down.

Quick Reply: Super Duty ball joints and u joints