F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

May trade for Lightning opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May trade for Lightning opinions?

Well I am having a problem lately deciding whether or not to unload my 2004 F250 6.0 PSD ext cab for a 2003 DSG Lightning w/ 26k miles that runs really really well. I had a 2001 Lightning before the PSD and have missed it since the day I traded it in. There are a few issues though....I love the extra room I have in the ext cab, it tows my 93 Mustang like a charm, it is RED and has 17k miles, and the intimidation factor in Atlanta traffic of a large truck. Unfortunately it has been to Ford for issues since 400 miles new...recall on tranny, then toasted tranny on roadtrip (no load), faulty turbo, leaking head gaskets, in many times for failed injectors. Frustrating!! I know diesels are a dime a dozen and clean Lightnings are getting harder to find everyday. I am worried about towing issues but rarely tow. I am 30 and single so don't have to worry about kids ect.....I am kinda torn cause I can't take on another truck payment (unless I sell my house and that will not happen) Anyway I will probably have a biased opinion here, but any help would be worthwhile. Thanks

Old 05-12-2006, 10:24 PM
If it wasnt for the extra room it would be easy. The lightning should tow an open trailer with no problems. I dont think that you will ever work all of the bugs out of the 6.0. If that was a 7.3 I'd tell you to never sell.

Old 05-14-2006, 09:26 AM
venomous

If you don't need the big diesel for work and towing and making money and such, then you need to get the truck you really want. For me I need a truck that will take abuse so I would keep my diesel (plus the wife and kids need room) but it sounds like you don't need a truck like the 250, so I would get (or keep) the truck you like to drive the most. It sounds like the 250 has been problematic anyway, go with the truck you love, the lightning.

Scott

Old 05-15-2006, 11:13 AM
If you need the extra room but like the lightning performance, have you considered any of the supercharged Harley Davidson edition F150's? The first few years were N/A, but I am 90% sure the black and silver ones are supercharged and quad cabs that can tow 6500 pounds. As for your immediate choice, If you don't like, need, or can't find a Harley, I would buy the Lightning. Reasons: Speed, Looks good, lots of aftermarket, more reliable than 6.0PSD IMHO.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Yeah, the early 6.0s had a lot of issues it seems like. Like said above, if you like the extra room get a 4 door supercharged Harley edition.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by venomous
Well I am having a problem lately deciding whether or not to unload my 2004 F250 6.0 PSD ext cab for a 2003 DSG Lightning w/ 26k miles that runs really really well. I had a 2001 Lightning before the PSD and have missed it since the day I traded it in. There are a few issues though....I love the extra room I have in the ext cab, it tows my 93 Mustang like a charm, it is RED and has 17k miles, and the intimidation factor in Atlanta traffic of a large truck. Unfortunately it has been to Ford for issues since 400 miles new...recall on tranny, then toasted tranny on roadtrip (no load), faulty turbo, leaking head gaskets, in many times for failed injectors. Frustrating!! I know diesels are a dime a dozen and clean Lightnings are getting harder to find everyday. I am worried about towing issues but rarely tow. I am 30 and single so don't have to worry about kids ect.....I am kinda torn cause I can't take on another truck payment (unless I sell my house and that will not happen) Anyway I will probably have a biased opinion here, but any help would be worthwhile. Thanks
I sold my 02 7.3 for a 2006 crew 4x4 with the 6.5 bed. I love the new truck. Would have kept the old one except not a crew and didnt have enough space.
I just have diesel envy. I quickly became a diesel entusiast. I will be fine with my current setup for my needs. I too tow an open trailer occasionally. With the diesel, there was a lot more headroom (towing). I could run 95 (stock with stock limiter) and never drop out of od the whole way there.

The blown Harley Davidson truck did not have have the same forged bottom end of the lightning - right? Still a pretty cool truck with a bunch of potential.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:11 AM
As far as forged internals, I don't know, but the Lightning and the Harley have very different part numbers, so it is a good chance. I do know the suspensions are different as well. But from experience, the Harley is pretty quick, and very comfortable. I would choose one over a Lightning any day (but I need the extra seats too).:o

Old 05-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Here's my opinion. If you have never owned a Lightning you are missing out on a great truck and a lot of fun. If it fits in your budget, get one. I am fortunate enough that I am able to have both. The 350Screw daily driver and the Lightning to have a good time with. As long as you don't pay too much for the L and you take care of it you will have no trouble selling it if you decide it's not for you. Whatever you decide to do DO NOT sell your home to finance a car, that is financial suicide.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you dont need the space or a big truck get the lightning, but if you can find a good clean 03 harley go for it, theyre more comfortable & theyll beat the crap out of a lightning, cant even remember how many times ive had a guy in a lightning pull up next to me when im in my dads harley & just leave em, the only vehicle ive ever been beat by in the harley was a lightning with dual turbos, was pretty close though

Old 05-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by sean_somer
if you dont need the space or a big truck get the lightning, but if you can find a good clean 03 harley go for it, theyre more comfortable & theyll beat the crap out of a lightning, cant even remember how many times ive had a guy in a lightning pull up next to me when im in my dads harley & just leave em, the only vehicle ive ever been beat by in the harley was a lightning with dual turbos, was pretty close though
No offense sean but something doesn't pencil out. Post a timeslip of your dads HD.

A stock hd will not "beat the crap" out of a L. They weigh more and have less hp from the get go. They are certainly a nice truck though.

You can get a L over 400rwhp with a few basics boltons and a tune.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by RustySocket
No offense sean but something doesn't pencil out. Post a timeslip of your dads HD.

A stock hd will not "beat the crap" out of a L. They weigh more and have less hp from the get go. They are certainly a nice truck though.

You can get a L over 400rwhp with a few basics boltons and a tune.

I'm with this guy, I got an 01 L with just basic mods, and Harleys can't even hang.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:01 PM
lightning/diesel pics

Well last week was the final straw w/ the 250..though minor the damn cd player stopped working. I got the 03 Lightning on Thursday, but found one with 17, 978 (18k) miles...it seems alot nicer than my 01 Lightning.....really well cared for not a scratch or blemish in the Dark Shadow Gray paint. I am alot happier to be back in the truck I wish I had never sold before. I loved the 6.0 when it was running correctly, but that was too far and few between for a new truck. I just loaded it up with a pallet of tile and lugged it home fine. Thanks for the responses and here is a link to the pics
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=287722

Old 05-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Well last week was the final straw w/ the 250..though minor the damn cd player stopped working. I got the 03 Lightning on Thursday, but found one with 17, 978 (18k) miles...it seems alot nicer than my 01 Lightning.....really well cared for not a scratch or blemish in the Dark Shadow Gray paint. I am alot happier to be back in the truck I wish I had never sold before. I loved the 6.0 when it was running correctly, but that was too far and few between for a new truck. I just loaded it up with a pallet of tile and lugged it home fine. Thanks for the responses and here is a link to the pics
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=287722
Sweet. Glad to hear you got the '03. Is it stock?

Hope I'm not going down the same road as you did with the psd......My new '06 developed a front crank seal leak at <100 miles. It's now been at the dealer for three days..... hope to get it back today.

Last edited by RustySocket; 05-22-2006 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: May trade for Lightning opinions?