F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Oh Baby do I have a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Baby do I have a problem?

OK here it goes.I was towing my 5th wheel no problem. I stop to let a person cross the street. I go to start again and the truck wont move in drive or second but fine in first, all other gear positions work. Once moving above 50 km i can shift into drive and it wroks fine on the high way.I get home second starts working but now i have no reverse. I shut the truck off and start it again now i have no reverse no neutrul ahd every shifter position works like a forward gear. Like wtf is going on here, I'm stumped.
all help appreciated thanks chris.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Suspended
are the linkages from the column shifter hooked up to the transmission? I know more about chevy automatics than Ford but the concept is still the same under the fire wall you should be able to move the shift linkage manually for drive reverse N park 1 2 .

If this works and nothing happens ( parking brake on and 2nd person in the truck ) check the tranny fluid for burnt smells and that it is full, My uneducated guess is the torque converter is the issue

Old 05-22-2006, 11:37 PM
The 4R100 is a flyby wire setup, not a mechanical linkage. I hope you had a trans temp gauge and were watching it. More than likely the fluid has been overheated and caused either slippage or overheating parts. The fluid needs to have a bright red/pink color and should not have a burnt/rotten smell. Sorry, but it sounds to me like you're headed for a $3000 trans.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Ggg
The 4r100 is not a "fly by wire" trans. It still has a mechanical linkage to select what gear to start in. It is a cable that runs down from the column to the shift lever. The computer controls when the other shifts happen, much like a 700r4.
First check your fluid level. Then check the mechanical linkage for proper adjustment. Check the filter inside the pan, and valve body bolts for tightness. Have the line pressure checked if you can't do it. These are the most common causes for your symptoms. Due to you can drive it I do not think it is a bad t/c. You might have overheated the trans causing the fluid to spill out, and now you are real low on fluid.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I ain't a transmission guy, but I know reverse is always mechanical (meaning if the transmission is electronically dead, you'll still have at least one forward gear range and reverse). If you ain't got reverse, something's broke inside the transmission. Sorry.

Old 05-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Sounds expensive to me.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:40 AM
so this could be caused by a low fluid situation then? I would say look for the easy stuff first before spending lots of money, If you can get it working enough to get it the dealer that would be your best bet.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:37 AM
i believe the 4r100 is shifted by solenoids, has a cable that
connects shift lever to prndl switch but the actual shifting is done by solenoid packs

Quick Reply: Oh Baby do I have a problem?