F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

oil change ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil change ????

My father has a '99 F350 Powerstroke with 95k miles...He has uses dino oil and is wondering if any problems would occur if he switched over to Royal Purple....The truck is in perfect condition..doesn't leak oil...he had heard, somewhere, that if he switched over the RP, it may cause the engine to leak oil....I know when I switched to RP on my Silverado, I had no problems....any help is appreciated....

Old 06-01-2006, 09:58 PM
You must make sure the oil has the correct rating for a PSD engine. I have not heard good things about RP oil in these engines in the past. Keep in mind that the oil is what drives the injectors, so its much more critical you use the right stuff than on most other engines. I would reccommend that he stick with Rotella T, Delo, or Delvac oils (all 15W40) as they all have the right CPI rating. Besides you can get Rotella T at Walmart for around $8/gallon which is fairly cheap and easy to find.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:23 AM
what is there to an oil change on these PSD's. I have just purchased a new PSD 6.0l and I want to change theoil myself.

How many quarts what type, etc.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:42 AM
theres nothing to changing the oil on the 6.0 litres, oil filter
is up top, larger lid on top of engine, smaller one is your secondary fuel filter, its an 18qt system but you can only
drain 15 because 3 are left in high pressure oil lines and high pressure resevior, only use motorcraft approved diesel oil for these. most common is 15w-40

Old 06-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Sweet, I thought it would be a simple change, I just need to find the filter and a motorcraft excepted oil to use. Any suggestions? or pics on where the filter is?

Old 06-02-2006, 09:20 AM
I believe it is a 15 qt system but you can only get 13 to 13.5.

You need a rather large drain pan.

Check out this link

Old 06-02-2006, 11:35 PM
fix these trucks all day long, every one of them gets oil changed and they all get 15qts, i don't know were that site got its info but this is straight from international manuals, the filter location is the picture is correct though

Old 06-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the link, I am not a noob at working on my vehicles. Just have not done it on this one yet.

I will add oil till the dip stick says stop. What oil to add that is the question, Anyone?

Thanks

Old 06-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by ford tech
fix these trucks all day long, every one of them gets oil changed and they all get 15qts, i don't know were that site got its info but this is straight from international manuals, the filter location is the picture is correct though
Mine has typically taken 13-13.5 quarts when following the advice of the following service bulletin:

Oil Level Check Tip:
When checking the oil level on the 6.0, the vehicle must be on a level surface and the dipstick must be fully seated into the tube to ensure an accuarte reading. Do not add oil if the level is above the "MIN" line on the dipstick. Broadcast Message 1512, 1574.
I think that a lot of 6.0's were surging at cold start when the oil level was too high. I'm no 6.0 tech, but I had the same problem after my first oil change, found this information, followed it, and never had the problem since.

Water, I use Shell Rotella T.

Quick Reply: oil change ????