F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Looking to buy and F250...questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy and F250...questions...

Hi guys. First of lemme compliment you guys on the amount of info on this site. I recently started looking for a truck and this place has been great.

Ok, down to business. My fathers friend has an 01 F250 with 80k on it, that hes looking to sell.

Anyway, I took it for a test drive and one thing I noticed was that, accelerating from a stop, it seemed like the driveshaft took a second to engage after I stepped on the gas...if that makes sense to anyone. Is that normal? I know on my fathers Yukon, its a quite common thing for them(something with the transfercase) and was just wondering if it was common on F250's aswell.

My second question is, he told me he had the exhuast manifolds replaced because the old ones were leaking. The dealership that he had it done at, told him it happens alot on the 5.4's. Any truth to this? Im just hopeing it doesnt have anything to do with the dreaded spark plug shooting heads. I listened to the motor for a little bit and didnt hear any abnormal sounds coming from the heads....maybe Im just paranoid about buying a truck and having to have to do a major repair soon thereafter...

Other than those 2 things, the truck was great. If I get the thumbs up from you guys then you may be seeing me around alot more.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Mdnitedrftr
Hi guys. First of lemme compliment you guys on the amount of info on this site. I recently started looking for a truck and this place has been great.

Ok, down to business. My fathers friend has an 01 F250 with 80k on it, that hes looking to sell.

Anyway, I took it for a test drive and one thing I noticed was that, accelerating from a stop, it seemed like the driveshaft took a second to engage after I stepped on the gas...if that makes sense to anyone. Is that normal? I know on my fathers Yukon, its a quite common thing for them(something with the transfercase) and was just wondering if it was common on F250's aswell.

My second question is, he told me he had the exhuast manifolds replaced because the old ones were leaking. The dealership that he had it done at, told him it happens alot on the 5.4's. Any truth to this? Im just hopeing it doesnt have anything to do with the dreaded spark plug shooting heads. I listened to the motor for a little bit and didnt hear any abnormal sounds coming from the heads....maybe Im just paranoid about buying a truck and having to have to do a major repair soon thereafter...

Other than those 2 things, the truck was great. If I get the thumbs up from you guys then you may be seeing me around alot more.
Sounds odd to me..... (the driveshaft thing...)

Old 06-29-2006, 12:48 PM
I agree the issue with the drive shaft is odd. I was thinking u-joints maybe. You can check by sliding under the truck and wiggling the drive shaft at the rear end to check for any slack in the u joint. My father in law had a 99 F-250 Superduty extended cab XLT with the 5.4L. It was a good truck. He pulled a dual tandem gooseneck with it. Sold it with 135000 miles on it about three years ago. I still see the truck from time to time.

Old 07-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I was going to buy a used 250 it would be atleast a v10 or diesel. With that much truck to move, I don't see the 5.4 doing it very well. Especially with high mileage.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:34 PM
The 5.4 is fine. You need a diesel or a v10 only if you are towing big time. I pull a 6000 pound trailer around town with a 5.4 and a 4500 pound trailer for camping regularly with my 5.4 and it does fine. Of course, anything heavier than 6000 pounds and I would like to have the v10, but for the most part it is fine. I have 88,000 miles and have only had to do one coil pack for 150 bucks, but everything else has been great. Best truck I have ever owned. As far as the engaging thing, it is hard to diagnose online, consider taking the truck to a mechanic and pay 60 bucks for a pre purchase inspection. Only takes about an hour, and the mechanic gave me a nice readout with tire life, fluid levels, squeaks, rattles, test drive, emision test, and estimated costs to repair anything he found. (150 bucks for a coil pack) So... welcome to the club and enjoy your truck!

Quick Reply: Looking to buy and F250...questions...