F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Not a powerstroke?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a powerstroke?

I am the proud owner of an 89 F-350 with a 7.3 diesel. I understand this is not considered a PowerStroke. Can someone tell me what the difference is? I'm curious.

Flagship

Old 09-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice!, and correct that the Powerstroke didn't come about 'till mid '94. You have a 7.3L IDI for Indirect Injection. Not as powerful as the PSD, but it's the 300six of the ford diesel world. Tons of info and upgrades in the IDI section of www.oilburners.net

Tell us more about the truck! 4x4? ZF 5speed?

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-10-2006, 09:06 AM
The difference in the engines is the fuel is not driven by the oil. In the PSD which was introduced mid year 94, Navistar went to the HEUI injector. This injector uses a high pressure oil pump (hpop) mounted at the front of the engine driven off the cam gear. This oil (up to around 3000 psi) is then in turn sent to the injectors where it is used to pressurize the fuel. The fuel is only under minimal pressure (about 70psi ideal) until it gets to the injectors where it is then ramped up. This is whats known as direct injection, as the pressurization event occurs at the injection site.

The older 7.3L IDI engines which were used from starting about 87ish?? until early 94 with the intro of the PSD. These engines did not use the HEUI injectors, nor did they use any kind of hpop system. They did however have a fuel injection pump mounted on the front cover. The difference here is that the fuel is pressurized here at the pump and then piped through the lines to the injector where it is injected into the cylinder. This is refered to indirect injection as the pressurization event occurs upstream of the injection site.

You have 2 completely different animals. The old IDI was usually only sold as a non turbo, with the exception of the 94 and a few 93s. The non turbo engines are not capable of holding more than 10-15psi of pressure when a turob is put on them, and the turbo versions usually don't make any more than 20 as the engine can't pump enough fuel. The PSD can easily flow more than enough fuel to make over 20psi stock, and when modified they can make over 50psi.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:37 AM
Thanks Powerstroke, for the detailed description. It was exactly what I was hoping for.

Adrian, I'm sure you'd recognize this truck if you saw it! It's a ex-Uhaul unit. It's an F-350 cab-chassis dually with a 14' van body. It has a C-6 tranny.

I'll be moving in the spring and I'm not sure I'll have a place to move to when I get where I'm going. I didn't want to rent a truck, rent a storage shed, rent a truck........ You know the rest. I had a chance to buy this truck so I can leave my stuff in it till I buy a house.

My local dealership assures me that the engine is very sound, the tranny is good, and well, the rest we rebuilt. Complete front end, new tires, rear brakes complete with cables, new rear springs and hangers, new shocks, all new hoses, batteries, cables, wiper transmissions, tach sensor, complete exhaust system, PS pump, all new belts, AC serviced. I even bought a new stereo with a CD player! I've been driving it back and forth to work as it's a fun truck to drive. I only wish it were geared a little higher. 3000 RPM at 60 MPH seems a little excessive. That said, after the move, I'll bet it'll go off road to get a load of fire wood with no trouble at all.

Thanks again for the reply.

Flagship

Old 09-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Get some pics! I've always wanted to off road a Uhaul

Quick Reply: Not a powerstroke?