F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Need some answers

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some answers

I've always had diesel envy and now I may soon be an owner.

I'm looking at a 2004 F350 XLT SCREW 4x4 PSD with 42,000 miles on it for 27,500. I'll be trading my 2005 F150 Lariat SCAB 4x4 with 19000 miles on it. Well I was wondering does it do any damage to run the 2007+ diesel in them or is it only bad to do the opposite? Additionally I know the PSD is known for lasting a very long time, but is there anything I should know about this model year in terms of reliability/recalls/etc?

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:06 PM
You are gonna like the upgrade to the diesel. First time I drove one, and that was back in the 7.3L days, after the test drive, I told the dealer that I thought it was illegal to make sports cars that big ...... I was floored by the performance of such a big vehicle (f350 dually).

Anywho, back to your questions .......

Since it's an '04, it should have the 6.0L, and yes, the engine is supposed to handle the new ULSD when it's available. Now, once the ULSD is out and Fords new 6.4L Twin Turbine is out, the 6.4L is supposed to use ULSD only. I've heard from others that alrady have ULSD available and the 6.0L runs it OK, but their milage has dropped a bit. Maybe because they reduced the lubricity of the sulfer content? Who knows (beside the oil industry), so I plan on continuing to use the Diesel Kleen additive I use now. Seems to help milage wise, and the engine is a bunch quiter with the added lubrication.

Welcome to the diesel world.

Last edited by larryp; 09-14-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:13 PM
You can also add Cetane, which is available from your friendly local Ford dealer's parts department. One bottle (~$6) will treat four-five fill-ups.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I've decided to stay with the truck I have now. For the time being anyway, I might be going back to college in the spring semester and having a tonner crew longbed PSD will be too much truck for a poor college student. Hell, my F150 will probably be too much truck (ie. payment, insurance, and gas money).

Quick Reply: Need some answers