F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Diesel Hesitation question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Hesitation question...

I'm hoping someone on here may be able to help me.

I have a 1999 E450 with the powerstroke in it. At the beginning of this summer, I was having quite a bit of hesistation while accelerating and cruising. I had the water drained, fuel filter changed, and the dealer did a complete "diesel flush". It seemed to help for the most of the summer, but within the last few weeks, I'm getting it again...it seems to work itself out after driving it for awhile. It feels like the truck is skipping...or like air bubbles are in the fuel line and it has hiccups. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Do you know what it could possibly be or what I should ask the dealer to looks at?

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!
-Will

Old 09-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation......that could be alot of things here. Some more detailed info on exactly what its doing would be helpful. Remember you do have a turbo on there so there will always be some lag time.

There are a few things I'd check. The first being the fuel pressure. Ideally you want to see about 70psi or somewhere thereabouts, but in stock form the trucks usually run about 10-15psi less than that. If you're down in the 50s it could be a problem there.

After that I would be curious to see what the high pressure oil system is doing when you have these problems. A good shop should be able to log this on their scanner when driving. You want to maintain 3000-3200psi at WOT, but if you're dropping way way down then your injection is going to suck and its going to lag. I would also have the ICP looked at whn driving too, to see what it is asking for. It very well could be a bad ICP or a gummed up one.

I would also suggest that you have the under valve cover injector wire harness inspected. The plugs like to work loose and Ford has released a fix for this. If one got loose it could have dropped a couple cylinders.

Quick Reply: Diesel Hesitation question...