F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Educate me RE: PSD's

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006 | 04:55 AM
|
Educate me RE: PSD's

Have an 05 F150 right now. I really would like an 05+ PSD F250.

However, I've never owned a diesel so I'm not familiar with maint or service intervals, etc etc.

Can anyone educate me on this?

Old 09-23-2006 | 07:27 AM
I think you'll find more answers if you post your questions on sites like www.thedieselgarage.com or www.thedieselstop.com

Just my 2 cents here, but I've heard many horror stories about problems 6.0 PSD owners have had. You should do some serious research both online and at your local dealers service dept to get a better understanding of what you might be getting into. Regardless of the potential problem side of owning the 6.0 PSD, they are known for being very expensive to maintain and repair.

Good luck on your search.

Old 09-23-2006 | 11:31 AM
For the most part the majority of the bugs have been worked out of the 6.0L now. The problematic years were 03 and 04. There are a few new ones that are still lemons, but you'll have that with anything.

The cost of ownership of a diesel over gas is always going to be higher. Right now its significantly higher with fuel costs being much higher. Oil changes are every 5k, but at 14qts per change they are more expensive. The transmission change interval is the same, but again, more oil. The coolant is the same, but more coolant. For me it takes about $50 to do an oil change, and thats with me doing it myself. Fillups take about $80 and I have the small tank. If you have a long box which will have the larger tank you can expect $100+ fillups. I'm in Grand Island, NE right now and over the last 2 weeks gas has dropped from $2.79 to $2.09. Diesel has gone from $3.03 to $2.79 in the same time period. Its to the point where if you simply do not REQUIRE one to pull a 15k load every day of the week it does not pay to even drive it. Mine only gets driven half the year.

Old 09-23-2006 | 11:53 AM
I just got a 2006 PSD F250, and I was nervous about a diesel as well since it was my first one. The maintanence costs are higher, so when I bought the truck, I had them throw in a maintenance program as well, where I wouldn't have to pay for the oil changes every 5000 miles. As for filling up, it runs me about 70-75$ to fill up my tank (it's a 38 gallon) when the needle gets to 1/4 full. Currently diesel up in Alaska is running around $2.81 a gallon. The nice thing about the diesel is that I'm getting roughly 14.5 MPG, which means I usually get around 360 miles to a tank, so I don't fill up as often as I used to.

The dealer educated me a little on a diesel, the injectors are very pricey, so I should use a fuel additive every 5 or 10 fill ups. There are two oil pumps in there (not sure if that was a warning or just information). I need to watch the water in fuel light, if it comes on, I need to have the water/fuel separator drained. And basically, everything on the diesel is more expensive to fix, so use it wisely and it'll last you for 250,000 miles without any major problems. (that's what he says)

The biggest thing I had to get used to was the noise, especially when it's cold out. The speed controlled volume on the radio is a nice touch, and I find myself using it all the time. I've had it for about a month, and the noise doesn't bug me as much anymore. There are times when I come to a stop at a stoplight and I get a whaft of diesel in the cab from the exhaust, but that's not to extreme.

I plan on hauling building materials all the time, as well as a few heavy trailers from time to time, so I was able to justify getting a diesel. I'm not sure I'd want a diesel for my own personal rig, though.

Old 09-23-2006 | 06:41 PM
There are 2 oil pumps on a PSD. A low pressure oil pump which is used only as a lube circiut to the engine. There is a high pressure oil pump which drives the injectors (HEUI system). This makes the type of oil you use very critical. If you use just any junk oil from Auto Zone in there you will run into problems. You need to run one with an approved rating. Rotella T, Delo, and others carry this rating so you're fine. Walmart carries Rotella in 5 gallon buckets for the cheapest price I've found so I'm buying it there. The stock injectors will run you around $200-250 each. Aftermarket can run easily $400+ each. Water in the fuel can and will damage them, as wil air in the fuel system. The wrong oil can also damage the injectors as well due to foaming in the system.

Old 09-23-2006 | 08:31 PM
After gettin my 7.3L, i'll never get another new gasser truck...

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-23-2006 | 10:06 PM
|
I don't need the PSD.. I don't tow anything, and I live in Florida so there are no mountains, offroading, etc to do really.

I've always loved the PSD's.. look, sound, stance.. etc. I just wonder if my money would be best spent on a different model truck..

Old 09-23-2006 | 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by SSpiro
I don't need the PSD.. I don't tow anything, and I live in Florida so there are no mountains, offroading, etc to do really.

I've always loved the PSD's.. look, sound, stance.. etc. I just wonder if my money would be best spent on a different model truck..

I like my diesel as much as the next guy, but given what you just said no way should you even be looking at even an F250 IMO. Its just going to cost you more money. The whole diesel vs gas debate has changed significantly in the last 2 years with the change in fuel prices and with the change in the new emissions standards on the horizon which will bring with it higher purchase costs.

There is a reason my truck gets parked half the year, and starting soon it will be retired to only towing duty.

My suggestion would be stay with the F150, as the F250 isn't going to do anything extra for you than drain your checkbook faster.

Old 09-25-2006 | 03:06 PM
|
Good enough.. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Educate me RE: PSD's