F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Chip Advice For Diesel 6.0 Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chip Advice For Diesel 6.0 Powerstroke

hey, i was just looking for some advice on different chips and tuners. I really dont know what im looking for but i have been looking at the:

Superchip flashpaq
bullydog triple power pup
hypertech hyperpac
the edge juice platinum w/ attitude monitor

and thats about it. If there is any other ones out there please let me know. also can you give me some reviews on the ones above.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:56 PM
http://www.dieselstop.com

...and read to your hearts content. I too am researching the pro's and con's of each. Was leaning toward the Edge Platinum, but the more I read the more I like the Innovative Diesel SCT, then maybe a Quad Commander for digital guages. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd recommend none, especially if your truck is still under warranty.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Hey Quintin, being a tech, have you seen any of the newer commonized 6.0's with the modified heads and thicker head studs with blown head gaskets or other issues. I would like to think that these engines should be a little more robust than the pre-january ones.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nvrenuff
Hey Quintin, being a tech, have you seen any of the newer commonized 6.0's with the modified heads and thicker head studs with blown head gaskets or other issues. I would like to think that these engines should be a little more robust than the pre-january ones.
I'm admittedly not a diesel guy, in that I don't do heavy repairs; I only do very infrequent and light driveability stuff as needed. Guys better versed than I am on the 6.0 liter reside over at Flatratetech.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Definitely have a chat with your dealer of choice, LOTS of posts on the net about folks with problems from trying to push their 6.0 too far....for me mine will stay stock until the warranty is up...diesel parts can get REAL expensive!

Old 10-02-2006, 09:34 PM
As stated, if you have any desire at all to keep your warranty your best bet is to NOT chip the truck period. Ford has cracked down hard on any kind of chip and you should be prepared to shell out the cash for a new engine should the need arise. Face it, you're pushing an already hot engine even harder. While there is a good chance you'll be fine, you are playing Russian roullette. And don't say that just because its a tuner you can return to stock and be fine. A good tech can find out if you've had a tuner installed on the truck or not, it just depends if they're willing to dig that deep.

If you're still interested in a chip I also agree that all of the choices you listed are not the way to go. Edge has made quite the reputation for themselves as being the tranny killer with the Juice on the Torqueshift. I would also reccommend the SCT tuner from ID. They will give you the best life from the trans as well as keep the engine safer.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:25 AM
I have 42,000 miles on mine with the Bully Dog Tri-Dog no problems yet...

Old 10-03-2006, 10:14 AM
so it sounds like the SCT tuner from ID... i think ill call them today.. thanks alot for all your help

Last edited by wakebase69; 10-03-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:24 AM
one more question.... which one.. the excalibrator 1 or 2.... and if i get the 2 is there a way to run that with a monitor... and which monitors are compatible

Old 10-03-2006, 09:41 PM
You want the xcal 2. There are several monitors out there that are stand alone such as the Bully Dog outlook and a new one from Quadzilla called the Commander which I really like. There are also heads up display ones from TS Performance and probably a bunch more. Or of course you could use traditional guages, you will definitely want a pyro guage at minimum, but more is always better.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:51 PM
SCTxcal2 ID or dj-performance great service.

Quick Reply: Chip Advice For Diesel 6.0 Powerstroke