F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Steering wheel play.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel play.

Ok, I know I have posted this thread before but I am having trouble finding it since it was so long ago so I decided to post it again to get any additional feedback from you guys.
I have a 2000 F350 that has about 2" of play in the steering wheel. I have taken it in and inspected. I have had a new steering gear box installed, alignment, and balanced the tires but the play is still there. The truck doesn't pull to either side but the play is a bit irritating, especially when I am pulling my trailer. One member had mentioned tightening the gear box a 1/4 turn to see if that solves it although it is a new gear box and it seems that shouldn't be the issue (maybe it is). I also read something about tightening the tie rods? Any suggestions would be helpful -- and sorry for reposting this question. Thanks...

Old 10-05-2006, 03:05 PM
I drove my sons Jeep today and had to do a lot of steering just to keep it between the lines. I suspect tie-rods, idler arm or pitman arm. I'll take a look at the steering box also. I had a pitman or idler arm go bad on my old Chevy pickup and it was all over the road. I replaced it and the steering tightened right back up.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Crapgame
Ok, I know I have posted this thread before but I am having trouble finding it since it was so long ago so I decided to post it again to get any additional feedback from you guys.
I have a 2000 F350 that has about 2" of play in the steering wheel. I have taken it in and inspected. I have had a new steering gear box installed, alignment, and balanced the tires but the play is still there. The truck doesn't pull to either side but the play is a bit irritating, especially when I am pulling my trailer. One member had mentioned tightening the gear box a 1/4 turn to see if that solves it although it is a new gear box and it seems that shouldn't be the issue (maybe it is). I also read something about tightening the tie rods? Any suggestions would be helpful -- and sorry for reposting this question. Thanks...
Took my 03 in for the same type of thing , here is what the dealer wrote on my warranty reciept.

Check front suspension. Found tie rod end to pitman arm loose, removed and replaced tie rod end. Checked steering wheel position and retest .Drove time for replacement of steering damper. Replaced pan rod bar bushings. Havent really got a chance to drive it tonight, but it feels tighter allready. Just got done driving it today and it is like new again. 100% improvement, good luck.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel play.