F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Diesel motor oil and filters.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel motor oil and filters.

Since this diesel thing is all new to me I'd like to have some info on general maintainence. Does anyone use synthetic in their engines. I realize 15 quarts is a heavy hit compared to 6. Over the years I've heard that fuel filters have to be changed often in diesels. Is it true? What about fuel additives? Anything I need to know for cold weather? The engine has a plug in heater. When will I need to use that?

Anything else I should know about going diesel? It looks like my first job is to see who and where the diesel stations are located.

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:28 PM
The manual outlines the change intervals for filters, always a good idea to have extra fuel filters on hand, frequency has a lot to do with the quality of fuel. For real cold weather, you'll want to run an antigel product.I've been running Diesel Kleen in mine since the day I bought it, provides some extra lubricity and cetane boost, and have noticed truck runs a lot better with it...especially with ULSD being more prevalent now, and variances in fuel quality, many recommend an additive. It does not have an anti-gel, but really don't need that where I am, but they make another product that is good (www.powerservice.com).

Old 10-08-2006, 01:08 AM
I run good old Rotella T, with a motorcraft filter. Wall Mart carries both (rotella in 1-gallon jugs), and a oil/filter change cost me around $35, all the while leaving half a gallon for top-off if needed.

I change the fuel filter every other oil change. But with a PSD, the fuel filter is a cake-walk, and its cheap. It is sitting right on top of the motor. Unscrew the cap, pull the old filter out, drop a new one in, and put the cap back on.

I also use the cetane boost. And it does seem to run better, but cost wise it does add up. As for antigel, around here the pumps have already swapped over to winterized fuel rated at -10 degrees. So I never worry. But I do notice a fuel mileage hit.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by HumboldtF150
I run good old Rotella T, with a motorcraft filter. Wall Mart carries both (rotella in 1-gallon jugs), and a oil/filter change cost me around $35, all the while leaving half a gallon for top-off if needed.

I change the fuel filter every other oil change. But with a PSD, the fuel filter is a cake-walk, and its cheap. It is sitting right on top of the motor. Unscrew the cap, pull the old filter out, drop a new one in, and put the cap back on.

I also use the cetane boost. And it does seem to run better, but cost wise it does add up. As for antigel, around here the pumps have already swapped over to winterized fuel rated at -10 degrees. So I never worry. But I do notice a fuel mileage hit.

While the change interval is the same for the 6.0L that he has, the fuel filters aren't quite as easy to change on a 6.0L. Though they are not that difficult. Synthetic oil is fine to use as long as it meets the specs for the PSD engine. Oil is critical for the 7.3L and 6.0L as it is what drives the injectors. Some say that it has helped to quiet the engine down some. I run Rotella T 15W40 dino oil in mine as I have not found any of the synth Rotella around yet. I typically buy it in 5 gal buckets from Walmart. I had been running Motorcraft filters, but since my stock of them has run out I've switched over to Fleetguard as they are cheaper, but still filter just as good as Motorcraft.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Didnt know he had a 6.0

Might want to mention that next time

Old 10-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Or just do what I did and look at the vehicle in his profile at the top right corner of his post. I know its hard thing to do

Old 10-08-2006, 02:13 PM
DOH! I didnt even realize truck specs were located there

Quick Reply: Diesel motor oil and filters.